A&P My first week with the rangefinder and developing my own pics

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ok_computer, Mar 3, 2009.

1. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

Ignore the "formal" sounding text.. I posted it on another forum originally :o

Here's a quick selection of photos from my first week with a rangefinder camera. I bought a Nikon S2 last weekend. Before buying the camera, I had never ever used or even seen a rangefinder camera, and I'd never developed or seen develop film outside of a real lab. It's been a bit of a learning experience but I'm pretty happy with the results. So far I've shot 5 rolls of film, some TMAX400 and Delta 3200, and I'm developing with Ilfosol DD-X at home. All scanned with an Epson V500 scanner.

The negs are pretty dirty, especially from the first roll. I was being very impatient, and basically dried it in 3 minutes with a hairdryer. After getting that off my chest I've been a bit more patient, and I let them dry for about 2 hours after using a film squeegee. I've started cleaning them with a camel hair brush as well to take care of the dust problems.

Let me know what you think for a first time user, I'm open to all criticism (and compliment) I screwed up one roll, a bit of a brain lapse, and I exposed some film before developing, but it wasn't completely disastrous. 6 negs of the roll of 36 survived, but the best one was one of the 6, so that's great news

Anyway, on with the show:

1)
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

You can see how I spilled sopme developed and it wouldnt cover the whole film in the next few, too bad

4)
    [​IMG]

5)
    [​IMG]

6)
    [​IMG]

7)
    [​IMG]

8)
    [​IMG]

9)
    [​IMG]

10)
    [​IMG]

11)
    [​IMG]

I love the moment of the dancer jumping over David Byrne's head in this next one:
    12)
    [​IMG]

13)
    [​IMG]

14)
    [​IMG]

15)
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you think! It's been a fun first week, and I can't wait for the next few years with this beauty ,

Dylan

2. Bloke

Bloke Banned

ok film squeegee scare me, im parnoid over scratching them.
    at least your tank didnt fuck up 2 rolls for no reason.

some shots you need more telephoto... maybe you can find a 105mm the telephotos are a lot cheaper than wide angles.

ive been using the Jupiter 9 recently i will try and get some pics up tonight. your V500 is much faster than my old nikon scanner. i average at least 3 min a shot, just scanning then i do a small amount of post processing, so it takes a long time for me to scan.

3. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

Yeah.. developing is a bit annoying right now. All I have are tanks made for 8 rolls :rofl: So doing one is a bit tedious because it's huge.

I don't really want a tele.. 50 is as long as I'll get. a) My VF is not parallax corrected, 2) I like wide WAY more than tele, iii) I'll just use my digi + 70-200 for long stuff. This is just a carry everywhere camera, so it's mostly wide stuff anyway.

The V500 is decent. I slack a bit when scanning.. I dont really wait for them to flatten out. I fucking HATE the negative masks on it though, they're so flimsy it's almost unuseable. I might pick up a cool scan soon.

The squeegee is a bit scary I guess, but it guarantees you won't have water spots, and speeds the process up by a huge amount, so I think I'll still use it and just be careful.

4. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

5. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

6. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

This is a collection of a week, as opposed to.. 2 day collections :hsugh:

It's a world of difference broman soldier.