MIL My first week in the Air Force

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by seven, Jul 29, 2007.

1. seven

seven New Member

wow...it's been a trip.

Driving from Houston to Edwards AFB is no fun, i stopped over only on military bases cause i didn't want my stuff exposed to the locals (Fort Bliss, El Paso and Luke AFB, Phoenix). Not too mention is was cheap as hell. Got to Edwards late, and stayed in the hotel. Woke up next day and stayed on my feet all day going to meeting, and in processing.

Holy crap there is a lot of in processing, I'm still not done, but about 90% is done now 2 weeks later.

So this is air force life? It's just like being a civilian so far, there are only 2 uniformed personnel (myself included) in my office, the rest are civilians. I have to go 3 people up my chain of command to hit a military person.

But the civilians are nice. My squadron is pretty cool, i haven't met one enlisted person from my squadron yet, i don't know if we have any. 50% of the people i have met are mid-high level civilians, about 30% 2LT's, the rest are 1LT/CAPTs and i'm on a first name bases with all of them. Not what i expected.

I won't be given real work until i get both my TDY's out the way AFBC and ACQ training. I'm a developmental engineer btw, I'll be on the flight line working on F-16 most likely, or riding in the back seat if I'm lucky.

The weekends seem to be lively even if the base I'm on is dead. We are close to LA and some other cool places, lots of people leave on the weekends. Finding people to make friends with is really easy, seems people in the military become friends quicker b/c of all the moving i guess.

The house they gave me is nice as well, I've never had this much room before, not to mention amenities. Often i find it surreal the way military members are treated, especially officers.

So far, so good. The USAF is a great organization, i'm sure i'll get bored here in a few years however, I'm gonna try and get deployed or do language immersion to get out of the states so my career is varied.

2. Motá

Motá New Member

welcome to edwards :wavey: i would say lets get some beers but you're a officer :hsugh:. Yeah edwards has more civilians than military so i've heard it's not a "real" military base, everyone is to laid back here. but you should get out to LA the AV sucks oh and the place to hang out at off base would definitely be schooners :noes:

3. DVS Man

DVS Man Where the fuck is Battle Cat?

sounds very cool. i start BT soon for the AF, not sure what to expect besides being in good shape. Good Luck.

4. seven

seven New Member

Dude, i've been pretty chill with most the enlisted i have met, in all honesty i prefer enlisted people handling my paper work, and not officers. It sucks that i can't really be friends with them, i have a few high school buddies who are in cali and enlisted, and i don't know how to approach them and let them know I'm here. I guess any thought of bringing those friendships back is gone.

And the AV isn't that bad, i went to Lancaster with some LT's yesterday and had a pretty good time around the town, at least there is a decent movie theater and restaurants. I just hate driving so much to get anywhere.

5. Motá

Motá New Member

Yeah the seclusion here sucks 14 miles just to get the west gate when you see the welcome sign. I don't care your an officer. i have a few officer friends here that i party with and crash at their places :bigthumb: when i'm do drunk to drive. you live in the single officer housing?

6. NPH

NPH Guest

Too bad the Air Force recruiter was such a fucking idiot when I stopped by. I wish I would've gone to another recruiting station before I got snatched up by the Marine recruiter. :hs:

7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

chair force for the win

8. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

Palmdale is a pretty nice looking place, but it's still a long way away.

Some officers like to have people on a first name basis. I know one cadet that hates it when people aren't referred to by their last name. The funny thing is that the old det commander was on a first name basis with all of the active duty personnel.

9. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

:rofl:

10. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

damn right

11. seven

seven New Member

I don't mind calling people by their first names, but it's extremely lax here, i just didn't expect it.

2LT's here don't even have to bother saluting 1LTs, although i'm still doing it b/c of habit. Honestly, once you have a senior officer piss drunk in your car int he middle of the night, throwing beer cans at another officer outside your car, with the cop shining his bright ass flash light at your car being the only thing that stops and sobers him up, you kinda get used to calling them by their first name. :rofl: (my first Friday out, we had a fun night out, i though i was gonna get screwed bad my second day their, but the cop wasn't a prick)

12. lim f(x) = f(a)

lim f(x) = f(a) New Member