A&P My first wedding...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Redliner7, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

I shot as a secondary photog at a wedding...I'm not sure how good these are. Tell me the suck, tell me they're great -- just give me real feedback. Real C&C...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :hs:

2. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Love the lighting on #2

I'm still trying to mustard up the balls to do a wedding, so mad props on doing it!

3. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

did you get paid?

good job!

4. MojoDojo

MojoDojo New Member

Also like the lighting on #2.
    Great angle on the last one.

Would like to see a tighter crop in on the sand mixing #3, and on the ring on the right #4.

Tells us a little about your experience shooting your first wedding.

5. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

Thanks man. It was hard, very stressful...I hate being responsible for someone elses pictures. I'm not feeling these to be honest, lotta good photogs on here, and to me, these are just barely a step above snapshot...trying to find that edge of mine.

Yeah, $300. thanks man.

Thanks man. Yeah, now that I think of it, a tighter crop would've been good. Oh well. I was thinking that maybe getting both of them in the crop would've made it a 'couple' experience at the time. :o

My first experience?
    It's hard, and very stressful. You're so busy shooting the wedding that everything needs to be in automatic mode, or you'll get crushed by time...
    Bring lots of batteries for your flash (2 sets of batteries, and they were all dead by the end!)
    Don't worry about getting into their face for a good shot, they'll get used to it.
    Watch your focus, b/c I back-focused a lot of my pictures, I didn't check it, and when I came home, was disappointed to have focused on the wall...
    Use duct tape to tape down power cords/sync cords or people trip :eek3:
    Use duct tape to mark where people need to stand for portraits, or you create huge shadows...lol.

That's all I could think of...like I said, I hate being responsible for someone elses pictures, esp getting paid. It's a huge responsibility, even tho I wasn't the main shooter. So I'm glad they didn't exactly *count* on my pics...regardless, I'm still looking for that extra something that makes a picture worth a thousand words. I feel like these missed it :hs:

6. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

#1 the white balance is off.

#2 IS a great shot. Exposure is spot on. It looks like the backlighting came from a flash from another photographer and seems unintended. If it is, then you were lucky. If you set that up with your own slave flash, then you're doing great--except maybe keep the flash out of the pic :).

#3 I would have used an f/11 or so with bounce flash to keep both bride and groom in focus. Maybe wider shot too if you want them in the pic. Otherwise, tighter crop as others have mentioned.

Same thing for the last pic. It would have been nice to have the petals in focus along with the background (hyperfocal distance actually would have worked here).

Keep it up. Wedding photography is hard and stressful. The difficult part is that everyone has high expectations of you and thus expect perfection in the pictures. But perfection only comes with practice. I suggest seek out more opportunities to be the secondary photographer until you're ready to be the primary photographer.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  7. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

1. Thanks man. How could you tell WB is offf? Is it too orange?
    2. Actually, they were lights from the video cameras from the back, video taping everything. I can't claim that as my own slave tho, lol.
    3. Good idea...I'll remember this next time. Altho I was on my 70-200, so I should've backed up more.

Yeah -- it was fun, if anything. Thanks for the C&C. I know I need to learn more control with workflow too...this took entirely too long to process, my whole batch.

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

overall, great job for your first time.