A&P My first time panning...question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SpiderOnTheFloor, Apr 9, 2005.

1. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

so its not the most interesting subject but it passed by so i said what the hell i'll try this. it was 1/60s

[​IMG]

here is my question: how do you get the thing in focus right before you take the shot? i am using a 300d so i dont have that servo focus..is that the only way? maybe ill get the hack or something but i doubt i am going to do that much panning anyway

2. nhd

nhd New Member

you could prefocus the distance manually, open up the aperature a bit, and youll still get the subject in focus...

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You mean close down the aperture a bit? Larger f-stop? Opening it up will only give him a smaller DOF.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

use a tripod with a pan/tilt head, prefocus and use lots of DOF

My crappy ass attempt while trying out my new film cam last week. I was handheld and not expecting the car, I was shooting random street stuff, but heard it coming and snapped away.

[​IMG]

5. sony

sony Active Member

I pan handheld. :nikko:

6. mojito

mojito New Member

try the 1NRS, it has a Pellicale shutter :noes:

7. nhd

nhd New Member

yeeeeeeeaaah that one, cheers for the correction. i never listened in photography class, 9am weds morning just doesnt work.

8. sony

sony Active Member

That'd be really cool. Blackout time doesn't really bother me, but it'd be nice not to have it. :o

9. mojito

mojito New Member

I'd like to see a digi with one, it would help protect the sensor too, but the 2/3 light loss is annoying

10. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

My best results for panning have been:

1) bright sunny day. no light no care.
    2) f/8, and preferably lateral movement (ie not moving towards you. if it is you'll need to prefocus).
    3) 1/250 or faster for fast moving subjects. That's with a 200mm lens too. My best photos were at 1/350th or 1/500th.

That was taking photos of nitro R/C cars and trying to fill most of the frame.. they're very quick little buggers so taking photos of full size cars you can obviously use lower shutter speeds :)

The biggest hassle will be not having servo AF on your body. I just switched my D70 to AF-C mode and snapped away. Along with f8 aperture, this helped keep most of the shots in pretty good focus! If you do have dramatic distance changes, a short DOF will do you no favours unless you have a VERY expensive camera that prefocuses where a moving object will be when the shutter actually fires (not when the mirror locks up, it just stops focussing).