A&P My first thread on OT, so lets hope its good.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by PackingMyBags, Jul 23, 2009.

1. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags New Member

These photos were shot last week up in Sundance UT. I actually spent most of the evening shooting HDR's of the Wasatch front, but when it got too dark i just grabbed my tripod and went to work. These are actually my first attempt at night time waterfalls. Hope you like. And as always CC is welcomed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

too saturated - my eyes hurt
    water looks toooo blurry. what shutter speed?

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I like this one:
    [​IMG]

I just wish there was less lens flare.

4. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags New Member

Which one? Most are ~8 sec. BTW i touched the saturation bar very little and in some cases none at all. Camera was in standard mode as well.

Thanks, i like it as well. Im almost certain its due to my UV filter. I know most of you hate them, but i have separation issues when mine is off. BTW i fell on my camera that night and also dropped it on the ground. luckily all is good, but i was uber pissed. Ive never done that before.

5. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

try shorter times on water.... like 1/2-2sec. nice flow but not so blurry

6. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/504; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Lol did you read the part where he said it was night time?

7. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

most of these are over saturated, but #6 really is FTW! you're running your exposure time far to long for many of these, resulting in blown highlights. particularly # 1, 3, 9, and 10....

8. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

#6 is awesome. I actually dont mind the over saturation, and I know it's hard getting little thing exposed at night with such dark shadows so I don't mind the minor blown out spots...better than opening up shadows later and getting noise.

9. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags New Member

Im glad you read my first post. ;) For the record these were shot in Aperture priority and over exposed by 2/3 of a stop.

I can see where you are coming from. I think my blown highlights is from me pushing it a bit in Lightroom. I think you would have liked the originals more. I just wanted some pop to the milkiness.

I was also battling with track lights and parking lot lights in the ones you posted. #8 and 9 were literally right next to the heavily lighted parking lot. It was rough, but i really liked the setup of the pic, so i took it. Ill have to look into the saturation though. I must have missed something.

Thanks. Im glad you like them the way they are. I too hate trying to pull images out of too dark exposures.

Keep the CC coming...

10. Drunken Karnie Midget

It's pretty obvious how close you were to the lights on those two, and you should have stopped back down to account for the additional light in those areas. Granted you were firing at night, but in this set, only one of your shots benefited from the intentional over-exposing, which was #6... the rest, it caused more harm than good.

11. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

I really like #2 and #6. The water looks too damn fake in the rest. How was the weather up there BTW?

12. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

Also, #1 trips the the f out. Dunno if it is all the green in focus and the crazy water or what, but it's not working well with my eyes.

Edit: I know what it is. The trees in the back look like one of those fucking magic eye pictures that I can never do :rant2:

13. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

I don't understand why HDR was necessary here or if the output was what you intended to capture before you made these exposures

14. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Very nice pics :bowdown:Love the colors

15. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

this

16. Drunken Karnie Midget

Wouldn't work at 10:30pm... not enough light to even see what the fuck he was photographing. though he did overexpose a bunch of these.

17. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

Pretty much what the others said, although I happen to like the water.

Where in norcal you at? Specs on ur gear?

Oh next time label your pictures, so I dont have to recount 4 times to make sure I agree that #6 is the one I like...

18. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags New Member

The water really looked like that with the longer exposures and the track lighting only hitting certain parts of the water. I actually really liked it. The weather was beautiful. As you could see there was practically no wind and it was in the upper 70's. Best night for shooting in a while.

Ha ha. that would be lightroom and fill light :naughty:

No HDR's here. Earlier in the evening i was shooting HDRs of the mountains. Sorry if that confused you.

Thanks. Im glad you like.

Exactly. Im glad at least two people understand this. This is as fast a F2.8 gets in pure darkness. Granted some were taken at 3.5 or so, but that was only to gain some DOF. I also tried to stay at iso 100 for less grainy shots. Not like i have a 5DmkII and iso 200,000 ;)

19. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags New Member

Thanks. Im glad you like and i agree that some of them could have been set up better. Ill also number next time.

Im actually out in Utah at the moment. Trying to find a job out here. I used to live in Vacaville. For the shoot i used my 40d, tamron 17-50mm f2.8, and my cheep ass Sunpack tripod.

20. Drunken Karnie Midget

With the 40d don't be afraid to bump up the iso a bit. It's pretty damn clean at high iso. ;)

21. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags New Member

I hear you. I usually let it hang in the 600-800iso range for shots like these, but i started to see some noise(or i just got picky), so lately ive been sticking to the 100-200 range. Anything above iso 800 sucks imo.