A&P My first SLR.... Yay! *pics*

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by HPS, Apr 2, 2005.

1. HPS

HPS I'm not fat, I'm poofy... :fawk:

A guy I work with used to be a photography instructor for a college here. We used to sit together in the old building, and he taught me a LOT about the function of camera's and such. He had this old SLR he used to use, and said I could use it if I like (very nice of him). It hasn't been touched in 4+ years, so he's not sure it still works, but if it doesn't, he said it should be an easy fix. The light meter doesn't work, but thats fine, cause its a challenge that will help me learn to judge light pretty efficiently. That, and I can use the meter on my Nikon for the time being...
    I can't really afford film right now, but even just some here and there will help... Needless to say since you all know me so well, I'm pretty stoked right now... :coold:

Like I said, it's been sitting for 4 years, so it's dirty as hell... These are pre-cleaning... :hs:
    Also, I can't macro/focus well at all without zoom, so I'm gonna crack the Nikon later and try to fix it... :eek:
    That explains the lack of sharp focus... :( I want a Digital Rebel so bad... :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Per advise here, I got my first roll to run through it. This will be more or less to see if it works ok... :coold:

Still working on the cleaning... :hs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just took the first pic with it a few mins ago at a hospital down
    the street. I'm sure it will suck since I've never used an SLR, but
    hey, gotta learn somehow lol... :)
    This was taken at the same time with my Nikon, so hopefully it will
    look something like this, but never know... :hs:
    [​IMG]

2. mucky

mucky .

:cool: Old school!!!!! :bigthumb:

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I got a Pentax A-3000 with a bunch of crap...but i think that camera is older:) kewlness.

4. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

man that things dirty, your film will be all scratched up and tons of dust im willing to bet

5. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

what nikon do you have? i think you could probably get a canon ae-1 pretty cheap on ebay in better condition than that old dustball

6. HPS

7. mojito

mojito New Member

no light meter is gonna kill unless you're in the Basic daylight exposure (AKA sunny 16) and know how to adjust from there. that lens is slow as hell too. 3.5-4.5 on a mid zoom without AF or IS just blows

I'd find an only canon ae-1 or similar and get a 50mm FD 1.4 for cheep

8. mojito

mojito New Member

and that B&W isn't true B&W

get some t-max or tri-x
    or shoot slide film to get super saturated colors

9. HPS

As for getting a different cam, I can't afford one. That would explain not only why this one was given too me, but also why I can't afford a different lens. :( I am using my Nikon e4500 as a make-shift light meter for now. And I kinda of look at it as a good way to learn light level by eye. Sure, I will probably kill some rolls learning, but thats just what it is, learning. ;)
    As for the film, I just wanted something Walgreens could develop to run through the cam for testing/learning purposes... ;)