My first real detail...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Perfect Speed, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed OT Supporter

Well I just finished up my 2008 Civic Si coupe...
    I took a couple interior pics (just vacuumed and wiped the dash down cuz it didn't need much else) and got two pics outside and then the battery on my D70 died (FUUUUU) so I'll post em here for now and will post some more later.

I'm not scottwax (this is my first time doing it like I said) but the car looks amazing... better than it did when I picked it up from the dealer.

I washed and dried it, then used Meguiar's professional detailing clay bar, Used a porter cable and then did Meguair's #105 Polish, followed by #205, then Opti-Seal, then Mother's Advanced Wax.

I'm not really sure what you're supposed to take a pic of to show off the car's shine so let me know so when the battery is charged up I can take some...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Looks good! You missed a bunch of lint on your drivers seat and carpet though :p

Oh, and you won't get good pics of the shine on that paint until you've got some sunlight. Clouds and overcast conditions never produce the best results IMHO.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Nice work. :)

Not sure I'd have topped Opti-Seal, I really like how it looks on its own. However, you can put it over the carnauba next time you wash the car for added wetness.

4. Perfect Speed

The lint and dirt got there from my shoes from driving the car from the rear of the house to the parking lot ugh.

Thanks... and I have Mother's top coat that came with the one kit I bought.
    I didn't use it but I was thinking...
    Could I do the 105/205 then wax it, then seal it with opti-seal and then put on top coat?

5. Scottwax

You can do that, but personally, I like Opti-Seal's look so much I don't top it. Really not a fan of topping anyway, if a product *needs* to be topped, you probably should just use what you are topping it with. What is nice about OS though, is you can use it under or over carnaubas so unlike most sealants, you don't have to strip the carnauba off to apply more sealant.

6. Perfect Speed

I doubt I'll ever use that Mother's Top Coat that I got in the kit I bought then. Sounds like I'll do clay, 105/205 wax and then OS on the C5 next. It's sitting in the garage since yesterday morning and I didn't wanna start on it cuz I was tired. I'll probably get started on it today... I hope orange pads will be enough (didn't get any yellow with the kits I bought either :hs: ) with the 105 to get rid of all the hellish scratches that are on that car. I'm sick of people being like "WOW The color on your C5 is excellent... oh wow look at all those scratches" - I'm like "FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU". Hopefully soon they'll just comment on how good it looks.

Lastly ... I have Titanium exhaust tips (installed a Z06 Ti exhaust when I put on the Kooks long tubes a week ago) that are used and really dirty, what can you use to polish titanium? Do you need something special?

7. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Nice dude, was this your first time using a PC? I'm really tempted to pick up the PC/Meg's kit from auto detail now that i finally have a garage, but a little skeered.

Also, Scott, i had planned on doing the Meg's 105/205 combo then OS and OCW, are you saying i should just do either OS or OCW rather than both? Or should i put the OS over the OCW?

8. Scottwax

With a C5, not sure even #105 is enough without a rotary but it will make improvements other polishes can't.

GuiltySparc-I'd just alternate between the two after washes. Both are so easy to use they only add 5-10 minutes per application.

9. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

interesting...guess i'll do OS after the polishing then use OCW after the next wash.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Perfect Speed: Where did you learn how to use the Porter Cable, I wanted to get one as well, but I don't know how to use it :(

11. Scottwax

Read through the machine polishing forum on http://autopia.org

That's going to be your best bet.

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd: You'd need AT LEAST a Flex DA for 105 to be most effective on a C5... but even then you may find only a true rotary will do the job on the deepest/worst scratches.

13. Perfect Speed

Guess I should pick up some Yellow pads then. At least it'd help over the Orange ones.
    Yeah and sadly I just don't have the cash for that right now.

Any idea about the titanium exhaust scott?

14. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Not sure about titanium, but Nevrdull worked on my exhaust

15. Scottwax

Any quality metal polish should be fine.

16. BlazinBlazer Guy

It may be a cheesy solution, but you could always pick up a Harbor Freight rotary to get you through until you can afford a better one.

I had one of these back in the day when I was first starting out, and it definitely can get the job done in low volume scenarios (like you're in just working on your own car):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92623

All you'd need to add is a backing plate, so for roughly $50-60 you'd be in business. :bigthumb: