my first post :noes: v.hurt knee

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Chaotic Reality, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

So I've been lifting for 3-4 weeks now, last week I was doing leg press on my last set and I felt some pain in my right knee on the inside, by my knee cap. I got up and walked around a bit and it was a bit hard to walk normally. I sat down and extended my leg and stretched a bit, got up and everything felt fine...I didn't do any more with my legs. So today I went and was working out and was working on my legs again and started feeling the pain again, not the extent of last time but I didn't want to continue on and stopped what I was doing, again I walked around for a bit and it started feeling better. I feel very minor pain in my knee now but am obviously concerned about it. I'm not looking for a medical diagnosis as obviously no one but a doctor will be able to do that but I was curious if this has happened to anyone else before? Is it possible that I'm pinching a nerve or something? Should I just rest it for a couple weeks and start really light and see what happens? I've never had any knee problems before so it's all pretty new to me.

Any comments would be cool.

Thanks guys. :)

2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Use a heating pad for 15-20 minutes a couple of times a day. Go google "knee pain" and you'll get a zillion things to read. www.coolrunning.com has a good injury section, they're all running related but it will give you some insight into it.

Do you squat at all, or just leg press so far? I get knee pain from leg presses but not squats.

3. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

I've mostly done leg press up to this point although one session I did do squats in my first or second week. Tonight after I started feeling the pain again I used the smith machine with just the bar to do the squat technique to see how my leg would feel in that position - if there was any weight on the bar I probably would have felt the same pain in my knee as I could feel a bit of pressure where it was hurting, so I just stopped working on my legs at that point.

Thanks for the link and info.

4. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Never ever use the smith machine for squats again.

As far as your knee, R.I.C.E. (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) I prefer icing my joints to heat but that may be personal preference, hell you cold do both alternately. Pop a bunch of Ibuprofen and ice/heat on a daily basis until the pain goes away.

5. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Yeah, what GTlifter said. Work on getting good barbell squat form down with light weights now, and never ever go back to the smith machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.