My First Mac

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kcomps, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

I am going to be purchasing a new Mac Mini, does anyone have one on here or knows someone who does. I would like to see how they like it and also something that I can look forward from moving from a PC to a Mac.

2. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

I don't have Mac Mini. I have a PowerBook but I always used PC before.

Switching to Mac has been very good decision that I made. You will like it. No more virus / spyware worries... much better OS.

3. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Switched to Mac a year ago at home and was so happy I convinced my employer to get me one for work too.

4. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

That is what I have been hearing! I have decided to get a Mac, but as a friend told me who recently switched told me that I will have problems with learning how to use it in the beggining but will later get it. Did you have trouble learning the new software!?

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Took me about 2 weeks to really get it down pat. Took my GF two months. She hated it at first only because she was unfamiliar with her PowerBook. But now she is just as hooked as me.

6. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

What can I expect from a Mac that a PC can't do!? Like besides the spyware,pop ups, and the operating system (after reading about it, I can't wait to get it)!?!?!

7. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

I love my mini. My PC is super fast at everything, but for some reason I always use my mini.

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

it took me about a month to fully understand OSX and after that, everything was cake. I truly can't tell you what you can expect except what you wrote. other than that, I think you'll love how user-friendly it is and problem-free it is (at least for me)

9. Halon X

Halon X New Member

I switched about a year and a half ago, I was going strong after a couple days but it really took a couple weeks of solid use before things came natural and I had to stop thinking about them.

My Mom, brother and sister have since switched, my sister picked it up right away, my Mom took a couple months to get the hang of things (she still calls with questions every now and then) and my brother two or three weeks. The best part is I no longer get calls to fix virus or spyware problems and my family have yet to break a Mac. They were always breaking their PC's.

10. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

Like what I am hearing! Thanks for the feedback.

11. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I was in the same boat!!! My mom, girlfriend (at the time) aunt, cousin and brother all have switched. My mom still asks questions but has a general understanding. My aunt just surfs and emails so I don't have to deal with her as much anymore but was sick of trying to fix the problems they were having on their windows machine. i've only had to fix two problems on their mac in the 2 years they've had it.

12. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

The hardest thing for me was learning how to open the cd tray for the first time.

13. Halon X

Halon X New Member

hahaha

I know exactly what you mean :o

I'm not one to read the manual and when I got my G5, could not figure for the life of me how to eject the tray as there are no visible buttons. Fortunately Google told me so my manual is still sitting unopened.

14. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

I have the 1.25 ghz model of the mini. I put a stick of 1gb of ram in it and had the apple store install the bluetooth/wireless mambajamba. I REALLY like it. I had supported mac's at work in the past but never owned one. I finally got one and I am glad I did. It didn't really take me long to adjust, but I keep finding new things about it and the OS every day. I am definately going to upgrade to something faster later but I think the mini is a superb choice to owning a mac for the first time.

15. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

Good to hear.