MMA My first grappling tournament

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Biodragon, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Biodragon

Biodragon $$ > me OT Supporter

So, I'm not a big follower of the crowd here in the cage. So here is some background info on me before the videos.

I've been training twice a week for 3 months, in a MMA class, so I wasn't concentrating solely on grappling before this. This was my first tournament. In a beginner-1 division (0-6 months training) with a weigh in of 225. The weight division was 210+.... But for both of my matches I don't think weight was a issue... Probably more so upper body strength advantage for them if anything.. Anyways, here are my two matches, I am in the red. I came in 2nd with the silver out of 6.

I am posting these to get some insight on what could have been done different/better and for some constructive criticism as well.

Also, The quality isn't that great cause it was taken off a digital camera

match 1:
    [y]sen2JZk8RMs[/y]

match 2: Supposedly this guy was a "sandbagger". I think it means he was fighting in a skill class lower than what he really was? That's what my coach told me after the match. Doesn't really bother me if true, but it could explain why I felt like I was practically man handled that second fight.. lol

[y]RYoN1W6DH4c[/y]

2. markfluko

markfluko New Member

I think I know what tournament you are going to... I will be there but in a different weight class. It is my first tourney as well

What is your name so I can watch you.

This is going to be at Texas A&M right?

3. Biodragon

Is there one at A&M coming up? This one just happened on the 6th.

4. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

youre a big boy.

dont extend your arms out so far, keep them in tight (use your forearms to make space), dont get flat on your back.

good job getting out there and competing.

5. markfluko

markfluko New Member

Ya this coming weekend, it is the college nationals.

My bad I just read your post to fast and thought you were talking about one that had not happened all ready.

Thought the vids were of practice or something lol

*edit* sorry I am talking about Judo

6. AgGoNy

AgGoNy Active Member

good stuff man, tho im just starting to learn aiki jujitsu and bjj now so i have nothing to say other than good job!

7. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

vid 1
    3 seconds in - watch your neck for guillotines on takedowns
    9 seconds in - when an opponent has open guard and is flailing legs like that, if he isn't totally controlling your arms its a good time to hook a leg and stack and pass his guard
    30 seconds in - you're giving him your arms for armbars or to set up the triangle, keep them tight to you or to him
    34 seconds in - put the hooks in BEFORE you roll him back. while he's turtled - keep the hooks in so he doesn't slide out. if he doesn't let you get the hooks in, you can ride his back and WORK them in
    39 seconds - instead of pulling rubbish guard, pull your right leg out of the butterfly and go for the triangle. you had his head and arm already and one leg up.
    54 seconds - dont turn away from him, turn into him. he could have taken your back here fairly easily
    1:34 - when you are in side control like that - bring one knee tight into his hip thats on the floor and one knee tight to his head. you were laid out and he can easily retain at least half guard (he retained full guard 10 seconds later)
    2:03 - be careful with your arm like that across his face - you gave him a fairly easy set up for an arm triangle. he may not have been able to finish you but he could work a sweep or come out the back door
    2:43 - not having your left knee by his hip allowed him to get his half guard back. keep your side control tight. knee on his hip, knee by his head.
    2:50 - watch your posture. he just about swept you and if he would have finished he would have went right to mount - which means points for sweeps and points for mount. when in half guard like that - keep your back leg out for a base. dont keep it in by his body where he can sweep
    2:55 - when you went to side control - THIS is the position you want to be in. knee on his hip,knee by his head
    3:00 - instead of focusing completely on the arm you were attacking you had an easy opportunity to take his back which is a better control and will earn you points
    3:05 - again, instead of focusing on attacking that arm - MOUNT. the points and position are right there for you
    3:15 - when you are trying to finish the americana from the modified north south position, take your left knee and pin his chest down with a lot of pressure. this will give you a lot of pressure on his chest and make him quit thinking about defending the arm. plus you can easily move to mount if he squirms.

I probably sound like I'm being critical - but I'm not. You did very well. You had pretty solid posture, scrambled well when in trouble and didn't like too much of a spaz. One thing to try to keep running through your head is position before submission. As a new guy, the adrenalin is pumping and all you can think of is "tap this guy and move on - I'm tired"..But by using the position over submission mentality, you will put yourself into much stronger positions that are easier to submit your opponent from while also scoring points and putting pressure on him. You did well. I'm not going to watch vid 2. This took me long enough.

These are just some tips that you can go back through and think of options. It's not set in stone type stuff by any means. But if you go back through slowly and just watch some of these - maybe you can start thinking about them as you train.

Good job man. You looked good for 3 months in and you're a strong guy. You will do well. Keep competing. it'll help with the nerves and motivation.

8. prophit

prophit OT Supporter

AIKI!!! :rofl:

9. Biodragon

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I should have mentioned this tournament was a little different than most because we didn't go off points here. It was either submit or tap... And if no one won after the rounds, it went to judges...

I will try to work on keeping my arms in closer and getting into positions better.

10. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

and judges would have scored it based on who got dominant positions, sweeps and submission attempts - which is essentially the same thing as points. you wouldn't have been rewarded point by point but judges were keeping a tally in their head of who was scoring.

Good job man.

11. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Were you rolling on a wood floor?

12. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

:rofl::rofl:

faux wood mats

13. Biodragon

lol no.. like gogo said they were faux wooden mats... They are foam pads.. Best way of describing them to me is, they are exactly like the foam pads that children use. Except with the childrens one they are bright colors and have letters in the middle that can be taken out. And each pad interlocks with a rectangular peg looking thing...

14. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

that was the most extragent I've ever heard wrestling mats described

15. Biodragon

lol it was how I described them to my dad and he got it right away.. Though I'm sure it helped that I had them as a kid and that's why he knew exactly what I was talking about

16. El Rudo

El Rudo The Borinqueneers

did the ref just get out of work?

17. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Only watched second video.

First of all you will get better, just get on the mats consistently and keep competing.

From watching the video, you seem to be trying to base your escapes off of upper body (something big guys sometimes get in the habit of). It looks like your butt is just planted on the mat not moving, keep your hips moving, even if its little bumps to keep him from settling. Keep your elbows tight and hips moving and you'll do much better from the bottom.