SRS My first girlfriend got married today.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by deusexaethera, Mar 30, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

She invited me, I attended. It was a nice ceremony, not overly ornate, but unspeakably Catholic at moments. (I'm a non-practicing Catholic myself; can't bring myself to give up on it completely, though.)

The reception was also nice, if a little loud; musicians should never be allowed to operate their own mixer boards, it never works out well. A three course dinner was served, followed by the obligatory wedding cake. I talked up a couple of the single female guests, nothing special happened.

The whole time, though, I had "The Boys of Summer" playing in my head. I dunno why; we went out for a few months 8 years ago, and spent most of of college in the same classes, so there's no unfinished business left between us.

I suppose what bothered me was just knowing that she's no longer an option, even though I've had no particular interest in her for years, and that time is moving on and we're all getting older and settling down. Nothing too out of the ordinary, I suppose.

All I can say is I wish her well. :hs:

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I hate the feeling of growing up. Reaching "milestones" or new phases of life always depresses me.

3. deusexaethera

Some milestones just give me kind of a wistful reflective feeling, like when I graduated college and I knew I was finally going to be able to get on with my life. This particular milestone leaves me feeling kinda torn up; I've been listening to emo all day because of it.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Cheer up and be happy for her, reality is that you have left her and her life beside you as an option for you many years ago, just let it reside and let her go. She was a woman in the mature sense for accepting that fate, and did the right thing for picking up her life again, and for you its the same ,don't put your life on a halt and make the best of it,live while you are alive so to speak.

5. deusexaethera

No, you misunderstand. I'm not upset that she got married to someone else. It's more that it's that much harder to ignore the passage of time now.

That said, I suspect if I were in a serious relationship of my own, I wouldn't take notice of it so much.

6. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I was invited to my first girl's wedding but I couldn't get up there for the wedding.

I considered going, actually.. just didn't put much effort into trying to get out of it.

7. Striker22

Striker22 New Member

:bowrofl:

8. deusexaethera

Yeah, I wonder how well it will work out. What's the statistic now? 2 out of 3 marriages end in divorce?

But good luck to her -- and I have written proof that she owes me a Coke if he turns out to be a douchebag. Seems unlikely though, they've been dating for years now. Then again, she wanted to marry me, and then she wanted to marry my roommate, and then the guy after him, so...only time will tell.

9. m3ntal

m3ntal New Member

My first gf from highschool that I dated for almost 5 years recently got engaged. I heard from mutual friends of ours. She always had it in her head that she had to be married by 24-25, have kids before 27, etc etc.

I'm not upset at all but it still is kinda weird to me.

Oh well.

10. Exiled

Exiled New Member

About 5 of my GF's from highschool are married with children.

Have houses, white picket fence etc..

Crazy to think about.

11. deusexaethera

It does seem like a lot of people get married for the wrong reasons. I mean, nobody wants to die alone, but since people routinely live into their 70's and 80's now, having the companionship instinct kick in in your mid-20's isn't really appropriate.

Unfortunately, if you wait much longer than your 20's, you get stuck picking through the leftovers.

12. Exiled

Exiled New Member

yep

and there's nothing worse than a used woman.

13. deusexaethera

Well, I'm back at work now and it doesn't bother me anymore. Not surprising.

Thinking more about it (because I have a severe binge-thinking problem), part of it was caused by being back in the town where I went to college, seeing people that I used to hang out with -- some of whom I haven't seen since graduation -- and except for the ex-getting-married bit, it was just like old times. So I suppose the ex-getting-married bit was kind of an unwanted intrusion on the stroll down memory lane that I didn't realize I was going on.

Hooray for over-analysis!