A&P My first event shoot!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by delslow, Jan 22, 2007.

1. delslow

delslow my car may not be fast, but the back window goes d

I got recruited to take photos of an event on campus this past weekend. This was my first time shooting an event so it was fun doing something different. After the event I got to hang out with the band and do some photo shoots of them, which was probably my favorite part. They were fun to work with and very relaxed during the photo shoot. If you think the pictures suck just tell me so, I prefer honesty. :o

Unfortunately the lighting wasn't very good, I didn't use a flash and I was shooting at 800iso with a typical shutter speed around 1/15th @ 75mm :noes: However, I found taking a burst shot of 3 shots I could get at least one steady one.

Next purchase is definatly going to be an external flash unit. Looking back at the photos I would have used the flash more even though I just have the built in one in my Digital Rebel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click here to see the whole set

2. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

You wouldn't want to use a flash in a situation like that.

Don't be afraid to use ISO 1600. For newspaper stuff (I guess you were shooting for your school newspaper) grain > camera shake / motion blur (unless it's good motion blur)

3. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Edit: THe motion blur in most of those looks pretty acceptable (clapping hands, dancing etc) but it never looks as good in the paper (in B&W) as it does online in color (IMO)

4. delslow

Thanks for the advice, i'll try out 1600 next time. I used Noiseware to remove the noise and used the blur tool on some of the walls that still had alot of noise on them. Do you have any advice for getting rid of noise?

5. s0ber

s0ber New Member

you have a 300D? what lens did you use??

6. delslow

Tamron 28-75mm 2.8

It's been a good lens so far. It's really soft at 2.8 but I was already expecting that. I really enjoy it over the kit lens though, since at 55mm the widest the kit lens could go was 5.6. The Tamron has given me more opportunities to get some good shots.

7. s0ber

s0ber New Member

I likem :dunno:

8. delslow

:cool: Thanks

9. s0ber

s0ber New Member

True story, much better than i'd do indoor.. Still havnt gotten the hang of that yet.. :coolugh:

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

the flash wouldn't have looked bad but you wouldn't have gotten the detail that you did. the place just needs more lights or brighter lights.

11. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

corn already mentioned it but crank up the iso for that one extra shutter stop. motion blur/camera shake can kill a shot but at least with noise you can still have a usable image.

12. delslow

Yah, I was lucky that they set up some lights up near the stage. The light died off pretty quick though as they were just some shop lights. But I think without them I would have gotten next to nothing.

You can see one of the lights in this photo the other one is to the left just out of the picture

[​IMG]

13. bromide

bromide New Member

in my opinion (i am not a photographer, but i am an editor at a daily paper) you need to get more full frontals of the performers during performance. it looks like you only have one.
    The third is almost an exception to that since you capture some of the audience, but the backs of people aren't that attractive. (okay, for some people it is)

the last shot in the first post is a nice group shot (the guy's eyes look a little closed, but that may be part of his smile) but the cymbol and the mic bother me. if i were to run it, i'd try to crop them out.

just my .02. i'm not photographer.