A&P my first engagement shoot coming up

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by themolsen, Oct 19, 2009.

1. themolsen

themolsen New Member

...in a couple of weeks

Great couple; the guy is my best friend and his fiancee is super fun and laid back. I told them I'd do it for free as my gift.
    -edit- and they're both attractive

What basic tips can you offer before I do this? I'll be using 2 wireless strobe and have a pretty good range of lenses...I'll mostly be using my Tamron 17-50 2.8 and the Nikon 50 1.8, Nikon D50 body.

I've shot people before, but am not totally confident in my ability to pose people. I am confident in my shooting ability and I know I'll get some great shots for them.... I just need a little pro advice:o

2. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

Hehe I'm not a pro so I offer no real advice. :o You can always check the work of the good pros on here and go from there. :dunno:

3. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

Not a pro, but one thing I learned from shooting my cousin's engagement photos last year is not to rush. I had told them to block out 3-4 hours, and then they went and scheduled something just an hour or so after we were supposed to start. We were basically running through a park, and I fucked up so many things just because I wasn't taking the time to think about anything.

The couple I was with looked very awkward while I was shooting, and I was asking them to relax, but me saying that made them worse, and they looked better in the photos anyway than they did while I was shooting.

If you get an idea for something while you're out there, don't just think you got it and move on. Make sure you got it. Take the few seconds to check the LCD, zoom in, etc, if it'll mean giving them better photos later.

4. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

When framing and stuff, make sure not to cut off hands or feet.. if you're doing profiles where they're looking off to a side, leave more room in the direction that they are looking than behind them

she'll want pics of the ring.. I'd suggest doing some of those up front so she isn't trying to work them into every shot later on. I ended up with several awkward poses that I didn't notice until later because the girl was just trying to get the ring into every shot

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

meter for their faces, let the sky blow out
    don't let things come out of their heads
    don't get so caught up in your camera that they get uncomfortable.
    be comfortable and confident

6. mojito

mojito New Member

most likely they aren't use to having their picture together, especially together. Expcect that it will be awkward at first but get better.

Give them things to do, but don't force poses.

You can give general advice like hugs/kisses/dance/dip . . .

posing is going to be your biggest struggle, assuming you know how to control your lights. Hands are one of the biggest struggles, so be looking at what they are doing with them.

If she is going to have a hand visible, let it be the left hand with her ring showing. Holding hands and touching in general is key. But watch "reach around" hands, where you have say teh guy holding her with his fingers showing on her side, just have him keep his fingers behind her

give positive reinforcements, they're not going to know whats going on or how they're doing, keep it light and fun/ny

get your formal/basic shots before you go for the artsy/risky shots

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

not a pro... but tip from a hobbyist.... GO NATURAL. try to bring out their personality

i hate looking at pictures where you can tell they were told to say cheese

8. themolsen

themolsen New Member

the couple told me today they want to do the shoot at the beach because that's how they met and where they fell in love... that sort of limits me as far as settings, but luckily there's a pier, a reception place with a nice courtyard and a couple other features I can use to mix things up a bit.

The bright white sand is going to be a pain in my rectum for exposure, so I'll make sure they don't wear anything dark

they want to dress really casual too, as a reflection of them. the girl's going to wear a sort of sundress and the guy boardshorts and a T-shirt :hsugh:

Can/should I convince them otherwise? I brought up the idea of the guy maybe wearing a polo shirt instead, but he didn't seem too receptive. They're really good friends and I just want to make sure they don't look back and say "man, we don't look like adults here...."

9. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Keep talking.

10. mojito

mojito New Member

have them bring some changes of clothes, but them being comfortable in them is the most important thing.

Avoid logos and text, solids are better than stripes/patterns.

11. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

my best ever engagement shoot was done on the beach. this is great news :bigok:

12. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

Some SERIOUSLY good advice in here. OTAP is awesome sometimes.