My first detail job.. questions

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Creator, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

Did my moms car... first client (although i didnt get paid, ehehe) Took me three hours and it looks great. I didnt do the inside or engine bay (no simple green and then it was too dark to do inside) So i will finish that up tomorrow. I did a double wash, clay bar, wash , polish, wax and Back to Black on all the black rubber exterior trim. Tomorrow I am also going to use some Final Inspection on it to give it that final shine. One question though - I used the s100 wax. It seems to be great. But it was very, very hard. Like I had to dig into it. I figured it wouldnt be so stiff... has mine gone bad? Or is it all like that? Also how aer you guys cleaning your towels. The Microfiber and regualr cotton ones... i had to use two towels to clean the rims they were so bad. Do you throw them in the washing machine? What settings? Oh yeah - do you guys just use a cotton towel and go to town on the rims? I tried using a brush but it didnt seem to be as effective.

As long as she doesnt ruin the work ill take pics tomorrow.

2. Creator

Oh and in the middle of doing it a friend of my moms came by and said she wants me to do her car. My first PAYING customer! yay!

3. bmf

bmf Guest

Like most pure carnaubas, S100 is a hard paste, not creamy or liquidy. Just rub a little bit onto an applicator and go for it. You don't want to cake the wax onto the paint, just apply a nice thin coat.

I wash my microfibers separately from everything else. Light soap, no bleach or softeners, warm water. Air dry or tumble dry on the lowest setting, no cling free thingy. Same with the cotton towels.

A brush dislodges most of the wheel crud but I always follow up with a wash mitt. Use one mitt strictly for wheels.

Sounds like you're doing well. Keep up the good work.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

What bmf said.

5. Creator

Cool. I just took a look at it this AM. Looks pretty good. I am so glad that I did hers first though, just noticed so many little things. I need to go over her rims one more time when i get home. Theres still some crud. Using one wash mit just for rims sounds like a great idea.Ill do that.

Now i need to go hang up my fliers!