MMA My first day training

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by FrankieSixxxgun, Jul 3, 2007.

1. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun New Member

It was awesome. A lot more intense than my usual lifting exercises, especially on my legs, but it was awesome. I almost threw up halfway through, but I made it the whole training. I even impressed the coach by being able to work the speed bag on my first try. I was able to jump right on it and toss two hand combos at it. I can't wait to go back today!

2. FrankieSixxxgun

Loved it, I feel great today!

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Ya I loved my first day of boxing too. Now its kinda getting boring cause the coach still has me doing the same rountine after like two weeks. I'm making an effort to show up and work hard every day to show him im super serial so he starts showing me new things.

4. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

wow two weeks in and you're bored? good luck with that :hsugh:

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Ya well I'm doing nothing but conditioning and slow motion jabs right now. I'm in good shape already so the conditioning isn't anything special for now (the shoulder rolls kills me though). I really feel like I might be ready to tackle to slow motion cross. :eek5:

Nah I like the attention to detail. Coach makes sure I have everything absolutley perfect, but yes I'm anxious to learn new stuff cause I've had some experience already.

6. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

does your coach know the extent of your previous experience? How much personal time do you get with him for him to evaluate your needs?

sorry for being so smarmy in my last post, it was 2am here and I was real tired. :wavey:

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Too late for apologies, you're on the list. :squint:

He knows I've had some, but hes old school and basically told me unless I've gotten my ass kicked by a guy better than me for 6 rounds I ain't shit.

It's cool though, after my workout yesterday I asked if there was anythign else I could do and he said he'd get me started on new things next week.:wiggle:

8. FrankieSixxxgun

Flutter kicks, duck walks (which almost made me throw up), some other leg raises to crosses, and then some time on the heavy bag. They showed me a jab and a straight left (I'm southpaw), and then tried to make my feet behave. It's gonna take some time to get my feet right and my hips moving, I can already see it. After that, they showed me the speed bag, which I was actually pretty good at.

9. FrankieSixxxgun

This training is still brutal, but I love every minute of it. My calves are so sore from Monday's training that I can barely walk. Training at my normal gym is like a walk in the park now!

10. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i'm jealous, i havent felt liek that at the gym in MONTHS :wtc:

11. FrankieSixxxgun

Shit, I haven't felt like this in years! I'm debating training today even though I'm sore. Part of me knows I should rest and let my calves heal, but the other part of me says work through the pain you pussy. I used to work my calves while lifting, but I guess punching and moving in the ring is a whole different set of muscles I've never developed. I'm seriously walking with a limp I'm so sore.

The way I'm working it now is that I'm training to fight 3 days a week and then 2 days a week I go to my old gym and continue to strength train. I don't want to lose any of my upper body power since most of this boxing training is focused on core strength. My abs, legs, and lower back are getting rock solid from it, but I don't want to neglect my arms, chest, and lower back. Plus, I figure as an added bonus, I'm going to drop my body fat % significantly. Might as well have some cock diesel looking arms and chest while I'm at it. :rofl:

I just ordered myself a set of gloves too. The community gloves at the gym might be the worst smelling, most disgusting things in the world. Nothing breaks your concentration more than a vinegar smelling, warm, wet glove pressed to your chin. Got some shoes too, cause I'm not keen about getting sweat and blood in my socks. Makes me wanna toss my lunch.

12. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Word. Gym gear is the worst. One of the trainers borrowed my Thai pads to take to my buddy's fight but went out of town with them right after, so I have been using the gym's "communal pads" which are pretty horrible.

13. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

community gloves? jesus that's disgusting. I get grossed out by my own gloves, let alonesomeone elses.

however, I hate fresh hand wraps, I liek to wear mine and let them air dry then wear again, until they really smell. They just fit better, out of the washer they aren't soft and aren't as stretchy.

what gloves are you getting? There are two nice pairs of windy gloves on ebay for $38 shipped that no one has bid on and are over in 8 hours or so. I was gonna pick up one of the pairs just to have but money is kinda tight right now.

14. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

:werd: I got nice shoes and wear two sets of socks to training to deal with the sweat and to keep my feet from getting bruised and cut up.

15. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I train barefoot. :dunno:

16. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

our gyms pads that you hold against your hip for kicks have no pad in them, its like two sheets of thick rubber with a layer of cotton inbetween. It sucks.

17. FrankieSixxxgun

Oh dude, the shit smells like malt vinegar. Seriously, I'll grab a set after wrapping up, go to toss 'em on, and get a handful of warm, wet sweat. It's worthy of a dry heave.

I just bought the same Everlast pieces of crap they have at the gym already. They were $30 from Title Boxing for a nice set of black pleather 16oz gloves. They had the honest leather ones for $80, but I figured I could deal with some pleather gloves for now considering the price difference.

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

same here.

when we get kicked outside onto the concrete (because someone needs the rings) then I just think of how much of a pussy I am and how I wouldnt last a day in thailand. Keeps the feets from hurting.

sucks to kick or sucks to hold?

19. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I picked up my own kicking sheild that I brought to the gym to use. It's great.

[​IMG]

20. FrankieSixxxgun

That'd be better than socks. Socks soak up whatever's in the ring, which is pretty gross. Plus, socks on canvas have no traction, so I slip all over. A cheap set of boxing shoes was $30 from Title, so I picked 'em up with a set of gloves. Hopefully they'll show up soon, because the longer they take, the more vinegar hand I get to enjoy.

21. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

to hold, sucks bad. Its like your repeatedly taking kicks in the same spot.

22. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Next tiem you are holding dont hold it against your body when they kick, right before their leg makes contact pop the pad off your body into their leg. Makes more noise so they are happy and keeps your body from having to absorb a ton of kicks.