A&P My First Day out with real Cameras

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by eighteen_psi, Oct 29, 2003.

1. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

I went to SF for the day last Friday with the rest of my Digital Graphic Design class (from Expression Center for New Media in Emeryville) to take about 20 pictures to fullfill a few requirements for stock images and what not.

Instead of snapping of a roll or two (or a CF card of crappy point and shoot digicam pics) like most people I took the chance to play with both my Fuijica STX-1 (old school, 50mm X-Fujinon lens) and my instructors Canon Elan II-E (for these 75-300mm Sigma lens). I took a total of 16 rolls, lost 2 (one in loading the old-school, one in developing :squint: I easily fullfilled the assignment and needless to say, most of mine are worlds beyond the POS 1MP crap a lot of people were snapping...but I'd like to hear what people who are into photography have to say. (Seems like a good hobby for a graphic designer such as myself and stock images are big money..better to take them myself).

I've scanned but a few of them so far (it takes a while). These are totally untouched scans (jpgs sourced from 600dpi optical scans), no levels, no nothing...and a lot of them need it. None match the richness and contrast of the prints (or even come close really) Still, I'm working on scanning a ton more before i dick around with them. Scanner is an HP scanjet 6300C.

Also, one roll was printed in reverse it appears :squint: :squint:. I'll fix that too of course.

Feel free to rip them to shreds (hotlink pic in question so its easy to see what you're saying about which pic)....I know I didn't obey the rule of thirds in a lot (damn eye has a mind of its own until i get used to shooting it seems). Disclaimer: in addition to being my first day out with real cams, it was also a hurried afternoon so meh...Have at it.

http://www.datacomm.ch/hardyearbook/Pictures/Web/

EDIT: Disclaimer II: This is the first time taking out my Fuji since I repaired the meter myself but it works now :wiggle: I wasted a bit of film with it but it was fun regardless. A little tougher doing everything manually in a time-pressure situation.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  2. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

the ones in roll 10 are good....some better then others, but pretty good overall....

3. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

[​IMG]

This is cool, would have like the photo to be just to black guy

[​IMG]

I would have liked the old building more the focal point, really like it in the photo. Those two are my fav's

4. eighteen_psi

The one with the black guy was some dude on the street selling one of my classmates a lens :rofl:

I agree on both of your points, though. That cool building got its own roll (as did the Trans-America pyramid)...those will follow when I scan them. The smaller building was one of the rolls I lost.

Thanks for the feedback, keep em coming.

5. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

if it's feedback you want I got more lol.. in a lot of these photos were distractions, powerlines, etc... my only gripe

6. eighteen_psi

Trans-America Pyramid in SF...I have tons of pics of it (still scanning :( )

7. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

honestly i know you didnt have much time..but a lot of the pics just seem like snapshots... try to focus (no pun intended) more on the things you want the image to represent... get closer, so to speak

8. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Don't be a film burner. You went and took how many rolls of film? And what, exactly, did you get out of it? A few maybe decent shots? Do this, plan out your shots, figure out what you want the subject to be, compose it, adjust the lighting, think it out before you press the shutter button. You will consistently produce better, higher quality photos, and produce more per roll. By planning out my shots, I will get 3 to 4 GOOD shots, and 3 or 4 more decent photos per roll, that show me exactly what it is that I need to work on, what I should watch out for... I mean, you can't just go out and burn a shit load of film and hope a few turn out ok and have what you want. I know a guy who once spent a week on a wildlife reserve, shot up over 80 rolls of film, and got shit. His parter (in their studio) shot 4. Over 10 of those images were good enough to be published somewhere (though it was just a hobby to him, he never published anything).

9. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

you do realize national geographic photographers use around 400 rolls of film per shoot for 1 article....and maybe 3-5 get used per article...so that is 14,000+ photos and only 3-5 are used ;)

10. eighteen_psi

Remember that this shoot was done with graphic design goals in mind..."crappy" pictures were taken intentionally in many cases so I could slavage a texture from them and things like that. There are a lot more 'good' pictures than the ones thats are there..I just have been busy and haven't gotten to scanning them. I appriciate the feedback though...I have some aspirations of becoming skilled for personal (and professional benefit) but realize I'm not there yet. Just keep in mind that the goal of this outing was NOT to take good pictures..it was to salvage textures and demonstrate a few layout and color theories we learned in a real life environment. More pics soon..tomorrow perhaps!

11. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

yes, but they have national geographic representing them and funding them. Photo journalism is something entirely different from the art aspect of this. I come from a fine art aspect of photography, shooting that much and having a few turn out seems like cheating to me. I mean, anyone can go out and burn film and with any luck end up with a few good shots.

In that case, burning film may be somewhat acceptable. I'm not trying to attack you or anything, even with that assignment I personally would not have burned THAT much film. It's all what you want out of it I guess :hs:

12. eighteen_psi

No worries..if I wanted people to talk up my 'great' photos I would have posted them somewhere else..where people have no clue about such things. Next batch will be smaller and better..how much so, I'm not sure but I've been reading up and seek to improve. Critiques are always good.