My first day *ever* at a gym.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by makemedie, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

Hi all. Some background info - I'm 20, height is 5'11", weigh just 150lbs. I don't look skinny really, but I am. And I'm quite unhealthy. I'm not one of your "New Years Resolutionists", and you'll see why if you read on.

Just started out at a gym for the first time today. Had a PT for an hour to show me how to do my exercises. My goals are to make as much of a change as possible in myself within 12 weeks (I leave this country on the 1st day of the 13th week). Figured I'd improve myself as much as possible before I'm done with this place. The PT sucked, he actually only spent 50 minutes with me (I paid for this 1 hour), and he spent all of 5 minutes talking to me about what I want and stuff.

He says I should come in 5-6 times a week (I offered this, as again, I want to commit myself fully to get real change). The routine he set for me is apparently what he'd give someone who's been coming to the gym for a year, so he said I can expect it to be difficult. But he said it'd be good for me because of what I'm after. The following is what he described (All 8 reps, 3 sets) -

Day 1 - Chest Press, Hammer Incline Press, Pec Flyes, Push-Ups, Tricep Dips, Tricep Pushdowns.
    Day 2 - Shoulder Press, B/B Upright Rows, Rear Delt Flyes, D/B Shrugs, Leg Pres, Standing Calf Raises.
    Day 3 - Lat Pulldowns, Seated Rows, D/B Shrugs, Back Exts, B/B Bicep Curls, Rope Hammer Curls.

I didn't like the PT much, after showing me today's shit he told me I'd have to rebook for my next session with him so he can show me how to do Day 2 and 3 - except, he's not in till Monday. Meaning I don't go in again till Monday? :ugh: Fuck that. So I'm youtubing this shit and going in anyway.

I'm asking OT for advice as I trust ya'll more than this Trainer. Any advice on this routine, and the whole idea in general is appreciated. Thanks :)

2. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

12 weeks is plenty of time to see big change. You'll find more than what you're looking for here in the stickies.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Yyeah dude. check the stickies and get a diet set for yourself (mentioned in the stickies) and go to town!

4. Centipedes? In My Vagina

Centipedes? In My Vagina It's more common than you think

You realize you have like 15 upper body movements and maybe 2 leg movements... if your PT put that together, find a new one.

5. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

This is the sorta advice I was after.

I feel super weird going up there and saying I want a different PT just 1 day after I started though :o :hsd:

6. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

Plenty of time you think? That's just rad. I'm really keen on seeing some visual difference now. I once tried going to the gym back in 06, but I was not able to see any difference whatsoever so I just quit.

This time I have insane amounts of determination - Insane. Based on some friend's suggestions, I've gotten some protein shakes and creatine tablets to boot. Should have them by start of next week, that coupled with a more protein/carbs rich diet and more food in general, I should hopefully see gains sooner rather than later.

I'm SO SO fucking weak though :rofl: After those chest exercises, I couldn't do push-ups at all, ended up doing them with my knees on the ground. :mamoru:

7. fauxdiophile

fauxdiophile OT Supporter

and of those two, one of them is a calf exercise! :rofl:

look in the stickies for a good routine :)

8. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

My problem is that I wouldn't know how to do any of the exercises in the stickies.. YouTube can only show me so much :dunno:

If you guys still think I should just follow YouTube guides on how to perform those exercises properly, then I shall do so.

9. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

If you are in a real bind for help.

if you have an iphone

buy iFitness, it has built in plans and even shows you the moves of the exercise, when in doubt don't hurt yourself with a free weight version of an exercise try to use a machine if you can't figure out the full motion or proper lift, it is better than hurting yourself. Basic rules:
    Breathe during your lifts (in and out rules not as important as just doing it, never hold breath)
    Try to do everything methodically slow, esp the releasing motion (IE you build more muscle lowering the bench bar slowly than lifting it (ok this is just an example technicalities of this can be debated else where)).

It is a hellova lot better than your trainer... use a program in there. drink lots of water, eat clean food as close to it's nature form (IE eat veggies and fruits instead of processed stuff) get 8-9 hours of sleep, drink even more water.

10. Finesse

Finesse Back for the First Time

Rome wasn't built in a day. If you see good gains in 12 weeks and decide to continue lifting, you're well on your way to accomplishing one of the best decisions you will ever make. :bowdown:

Go to work :coolugh:

11. fauxdiophile

fauxdiophile OT Supporter

12. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:werd:

also...

:rofl: how do you not look skinny?

13. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

14. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

Did you pay your trainer for 1 hour only or did you buy a lot of sessions? If so, how many?

15. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

I meant I don't look scrawny and shit considering my weight/height. Pic for reference -

[​IMG]

16. Patrick Bateman

My arm is the size of your whole body, and the veins on it are the size of your noodle arms.

GET BIG OR DIE TRYING.

17. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

PB! :bowdown:

I didn't expect him to be such a stupid fuck. The 1 hour actually comes part of the whole thing, so that he can show me equipment and stuff. But I bought their "special price" and paid extra $40 for 2 more 1/2 hour sessions later on down the track. Seems like they'll be a waste though..

I mean, looks like I'm gonna end up using those half hour sessions just to figure out what to do on Day 2 and Day 3. It's weird though, so what do OTHER people do who DONT buy extra trainer hours? :dunno?

18. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

Standard stupid PB post :bowdown:

:bigthumb:

19. Patrick Bateman

basically that trainer makes jack shit off the 1 1/2 or 2 training sessions you bought, youre lucky he even set up a routine for you (as shitty as it is, thats the reality of it) that trainer makes real money and would probably take more time with you if you bougth 16+ sessions......i hardly can do much/put much energy into clients that buy 16 or less sessions with me as well.....its simply just too hard and not worthwhile for me to figure out a persons lifestyle, his genetics, his background, his history for about 30 bucks and then proceed to turn their lives around in 2 sessions......he still shouldve set up a better routine for you though. its ok youll be fine, read up on here and check out the exercises as suggested to you on exrx.net

20. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

Ahh I see.

Bateman what are your thoughts on HIT? Someone on here PM'd me a guide on HIT and said I should look into that? What've you got to say? Would I be better off doing something like that or continuing with this regime I've just started? :confused?

21. Patrick Bateman

whats HIT? Some new fancy periodization mega hypertrophy inducing magical formula for training im assuming??? can you guess my opinion on it just by my questioning? stick to basics, open up Pur's sticky and follow it. For years.

22. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

do the routine in the sticky, 5/3/1, or 5x5 lots of people here have had success with them no need to reinvent the wheel

23. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

drink a gallon of whole milk everyday...you'll see a change.

24. Memor

Memor Active Member

if you do HIT you might end up looking like grantorino - and for this reason alone you should avoid HIT

25. CRXican

CRXican God Loves Ugly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.