My first day...advice? v.weightlosscontest

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by mestizo, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mestizo

mestizo New Member

I posted this in the main forum, but I figure I'd get some better advice here. I know how anal F&N is about reading stickies and archives, and I've read alot.

I figure if I'm doing something wrong in the beginning maybe someone could help and point it out early so I don't waste my time and/or hurt myself.

My stats are 5'10", 220lbs, 21yo. I posted pictures in the OT Weight Loss sticky in the main forum. I want to get down to 190lbs by the end of the contest as I have not been been sub-200lbs since my freshman year in high school.

9/11/06
    8:00am
    1cup Quaker Oats Oatmeal
    1/2cup skim milk
    3 scrambled eggs
    2 glasses crystal light

9:30am
    small black coffee

12:30pm
    Turkey sandwhich
    (2 slices whole wheat, 1 slice fat free american, spinach leaves, 4 slices turkey)

4:30pm
    5oz grilled chicken
    1cup 0% yogurt
    1/2cup granola
    1 glass crystal light

5:00pm
    Lifting
    Standing Barbell Curls 3x6 @ 40lbs
    Hammer Curls 3x8 @ 12lbs
    Skullcrushers 3x6 @ 12lbs
    Dumbbell Shrugs

6:00pm
    Cardio
    15min HIIT on Bike

7:30pm
    1cup 0% cottage cheese
    12oz baked salmon fillet
    8oz steamed broccoli
    2 glasses crystal light

I'll prolly have some peanuts or yogurt and maybe some milk before I goto bed.

Is this a good start? I've never really had a routine and have NEVER lifted before so I'm trying to absorb advice like a sponge at the moment. I have a 100lb iron set (Straight/Incline bench, BB, DB, Lat, Leg) here at home that I can work with and my school gym has everything.

Should I add anything else to eat or take something away? The salmon and broccoli was a HUGE meal, I don't think I'll eat that much again but it was really :yum: I have 2lbs of ON Whey in the mail that I'm going to try, but I'm very unfamiliar with protein supplements and when/how much to take.

It was my second day trying the HIIT cardio instead of my normal steady pace, and it felt real good. I hope I can go for 20-30mins by next week!

I've been keeping track of food and lifting/cardio in a notepad as well as a .xls that mktk hooked me up with.

2. Memor

Memor Active Member

compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, push press, etc) will do wonders for ya, try to work them in, should all be feasible at your school gym with the right equipment

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

good diet, bad lifts

4. mestizo

mestizo New Member

Thanks, from what I read and hear, squats are the way to go.

I've very intimidated at the school gym because I've never lifted before and I don't really want to hurt myself. I'm definitely too shy to just randomly ask someone for help. :hs:

Anything I know about lifting exercises comes from
    http://www.thetrainingstationinc.com/exercises.html

I'm unsure how to develop my own routine, so for the time being I'm just looking at other people's beginning routines and doing what I can.

5. mestizo

mestizo New Member

Yea, I've never lifted before and its just the equipment I have here at home, so :dunno:

I hope once I get a better idea of how to go about lifting people may be more impressed with any numbers I put up.

6. Memor

Memor Active Member

Don't worry about it, we all have to start somewhere. Just check any pride and ego at the door, ask people for help if you need. In the archives here it tells you a lot of tips on how to properly squat and DL. There are also vids all over the net (some good some bad) of the lifts, and places like exrx.net have animated .gifs of all the ways to do them.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

two things seem obvious:
    1. track your calories. You obviously record what you eat, but make sure your record how many calories you are eating
    2. I doubt you'd get enough protein in that diet. You want to eat at least 1g/1lb of bodyweight. This will help you retain some lean mass. Trust me, you could lose 60lbs but you'd still look like shit if your bf% hasnt changed.

Also, obviously your workout plan is rediculously terrible. If I were you I'd invest some time into looking up how to do lifts properly, or pay someone to show me.

8. mestizo

mestizo New Member

haha thanks, I'm just getting started so its not like I expect to be working out this light the whole time.

As for protein, I have some whey in the mail right now, will this help? I track my calories (carbs/fats/protein/etc) in a spreadsheet.

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Well do what you can until you get a gym membership. Try to get one soon though. It will really help alot. Just improvise with what you got.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.