SRS My First Conference at Cook Forest PA

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pego, Sep 14, 2005.

1. pego

pego New Member

What is your Higher Power?

After attending my first conference at Cook Forest, PA: i had what i can only describe as my burning bush moment. The power i felt coming from so many alcoholics and addicts was truly overwhelming, and i was convinced this was my higher power which i had sought for the longest time.

What is your higher power, and how did you come to believe?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I'm sorry I missed this thread when it was first written, I'll revive it. You know, I've attended only 1 convention before (Narcotics Anonymous), and it was an interesting experience. For brief periods, I felt the prescence of my Higher Power. However, it was almost like a big party at many other times. It is in Palm Springs, CA in the summertime, so it's like 120 degrees everyday and everyone is in bathing suits. I heard some really awesome speakers too. The coolest thing about it was how I bonded with some people from my area whom I attended the convention with. Unfortunately, I also got to see how some people act when outside of meetings, and needless to say I wasn't very impressed.

As far as my Higher Power is concerned, I came to believe immediately after I got clean. I had been clean for about 1-2 weeks and I suddenly felt as though my Higher Power had always been present, I had just never really paid attention. I felt like my Higher Power was within the rooms of NA, and within everyone. I went to my dealer's house and told him that I'd found God. He thought I was a born-again Christian, but I told him, no my Higher Power is different than the Christian God, it's not like that. Anyway, my current concept of a Higher Power is always changing a little bit. Even though I defined my Higher Power in the 2nd step, I think I need to re-work the 2nd step at some point to come up with a more current definition. However, it's working for me now, what exactly is my Higher Power is much less important than the fact that I have one and I have faith.

3. pego

pego New Member

I guess the reason i found it such a powerful experience was that i hadnt been around people who celebrated their sobriety like those people i met. You see i live in Ireland, and for some reason people dont want to seem to overjoyed at being sober, and we dont really have circuit speakers who can move an audience like the ones i heard. The two speakers who stood out for me were Ed M from Iowa, and Angie P from Ohio. The latter spoke at the AA world convention in Toronto. Her story was relevant to both NA and AA.

4. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

My higher power is my own potential buddahood. I know it might sound weird but it is the only thing that i can accept or grasp that is remotely spiritual.

5. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Why is that weird?

I'm assuming you meant:

Buddhahood:
    A state of spiritual enlightment in accordance with Buddhist teachings.