A&P My first Car shoot C&C

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wheezer, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

I'm new to this type of photography so give me the CC I deserve. I've already done my own critiquing: Power poles (couldn't find anywhere on a paved road that didn't have them...and the sun was setting fast), Power lines, need some more lighting (especially on the black Z)....what else am I missing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are friends of mine, so we'll probably go out and try it again with the things I've learned.

2. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

the first and last have slanted horizons, in my mind they feel like they are going to roll away, but other than that they look good not to many carzy ricer angles

3. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

you're allen owen on flickr, right?

anyway, i like these a lot. fuckin corvettes are so sexy

4. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

Thanks. I can fix the first one...last one still looks a little off when I straighten it.

That's me. And yes...the are very sexy! And waaaay too much fun to drive.

5. Bloke

Bloke Banned

did you use a polarizer

6. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

No, I broke it a couple of weeks ago and haven't replaced it yet. The owner of the black Z does video and only had a 77mm. So I just went without.

7. Lol McRofles

Lol McRofles Lollers OT Supporter

Lighting is a little harsh on the first one. The slant on the last one is kind of distracting, composure on the second to last one is great, looks like something out of a car mag.

Might wanna try to shoot at sunrise if possible. From what I read it's the best lighting provided by the sun. :dunno:

8. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

Only #3 is decent.

9. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

#3 is cool, but i don't really like the processing

10. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

I'm not that dedicated to getting a good shot (for free). :)

Care to elaborate? What didn't you like on the others?

Really? That's the only one that is almost straight out of camera. Just warmed it up a little and bumped up the contrast a little. :dunno:
    [​IMG]

So looks like the consensus on #4 is too much slant. Agreed.
    #1, I need to work on the lighting. You can see the umbrella by the front side marker. And the big shiny nose! :o
    and #3 is a keeper?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  11. Tensai81

Tensai81 OT Supporter

Right so...normally I don't C&C on car pictures, but if your last name truly is Owen I feel obligated to support my British Isles heritage because my last name is Owens..that being said...

I've always felt that overdoing PP for car pictures is ok. it makes the subject (the car) seem surreal and that's...ok, it makes the viewer seem that the car is the "bestest" and unobtainable, etc., etc.

I did some tweaks to what you posted and you can take it for what it's worth, I'm by far not the best photographer nor the best PP'er, but I know what I like :dunno: I only did the first two because I'm not that motivated and what I did can probably carry through to the rest of your shots. Both were edited in LR 1.0 based on the size you posted so please excuse any graininess or pixilation that may have occurred in reposting :O

I cropped it down so the car is the main subject and you're forced to look no where else. the power poles are ok in the picture because as you'll see in the crop they are established in the background and the brain will carry that through to the foreground. with a black car, don't be afraid to bump the blacks up a little if the rest of the car is well lit. for this shot, I pushed the blacks up (2) but dropped the highlights in the curve. it kept the white siloutte, but emphasized the blackness. I also pushed the red and orange saturation for the sunset, but as you see didn't effect the coloring of the car.
    [​IMG]

I cropped it down a bit and straigtened the wheels of the car. the horizon doesn't come into play as much because your main focus should be on the car and the lines the subject draws. (looking at it again, I may even crop the right side even more towards the backend of the car) The sky was a little blown/washed out and whenever I blow a sky that's usually my cue for B&W. it's the easiest way to save a picture without spending multiple hours in PS fixing it. asking for rich color in the sky with a blue car is a recipe for disaster...and for the record: blue corvettes are for pussies..just saying :hsugh: For this I pushed the fill light to expose what wasn't captured in yours and heavily pushed the blacks and contrast to give it the lines in the B&W. your eyes should be drawn to the front of the car (left) which lends itself nicely to a striking model in a bikini looking off to the right of frame to make your eye soak in the rest of the shot :dunno: just a suggestion :naughty: I cloned out the powerlines (very quickly I might add) and the annoying semi-circle behind the rear tires.

[​IMG]

take it for what it's worth, we're all here to learn :wavey2:

12. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

:wavey:

I have a similar crop on my flickr, but not as tight as what you did. Looks like you desaturated the car a little too (minus the calipers)?

Good info! Thanks! :bigthumb:

Oh...and I'll throw in a model next time too. ;)

13. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

As far as my comment goes; the flash is way too noticeable on the other pictures, especially #1 and it creates a big distraction. It creates like a two-tone sense to the picture.

I am still a beginneer and I have a Rebel XT, but the only time I use flash is when the area is well lit and I want to give more definition or at a somehow far distance. I never use flash up close on shiny objects like cars, or mirrors.

Mainly I use Av mode without flash.

14. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

I'll do something when I get home to make #1 a much better shot.. (clone out the flare from your flash..)

15. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Good stuff :cool:

16. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

:cool:

Thanks! :wiggle:

17. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Sorry Tensai, but that B&W looks 10x worse than before.

I think they are decent pictures for a first try though.

18. Tensai81

Tensai81 OT Supporter

it's subjective and it could be my uncalibrated monitor or the cheap resize done since I didn't have the source file...just given examples :dunno:

19. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

The quality of the image is the main factor I think. I don't know what the correct term is, but there isn't a seamless transition in the gradients - just kinda bands of block shading.

20. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

The banding is partially from resizing and mainly from me trying to recover the highlights.