MMA My first boxing class was today!

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Mega-JC: Da Return, May 2, 2006.

1. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

What an awesome class. Its roughly 2hrs long. The instructor was very helpful. I wanted to take the Sub-wrestling class afterwards but I was just too tired. Also Chris Leben was there training :cool:

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

nice one man. boxing rules. If I could trade my 10 years of kung fu for 10 years of boxing and wrestling I would in a heartbeat

3. Mega-JC: Da Return

I feel like I've learned alot just from that one class. Before I didn't know how to even throw a real punch :hs:

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

yeah taking boxing as a young teen definitely did a lot for me around that time...

The kids I hung out with wanted to fight all the time for fun but I didn't, so any time they'd push me into it I'd knock the hell out em (was usually just chestboxing) and they'd run away and not try to mess with me for another 6 months :mamoru:

5. I remember my first boxing class. It was fun as hell :coold:

6. teep

teep New Member

Awesome. It's great that you enjoyed it. I'm more of a thai boxer, but lately I've really begun to see the light in boxing for MMA. It'll definately be something I pursue more, although it might have to take a backseat over the summer because I want to win NAGA in October. Gotta get the sword :big grin:

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

both have their advantages and disadvantages... I'd definitely say that I spend a good 60% of my time on the bag with boxing and elbows rather than kicks and such... but you even though kicks may be impractical at times, they're still very useful in MMA. Knees are used all the time and elbows are unfortunately restricted in Pride and UFC guys don't them.

8. teep

teep New Member

Oh I agree with you completely on both having their advantages and disadvantages. I was just commenting on how as someone whos striking was 100% traditional muay thai, I've really begun to see how the importance of the head movement and use of creating angles taught in boxing. But I'll always throw kicks and look to knee and elbow from the clinch...or throw...

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd: bob and weave baby

10. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

"To beat a martial artist that's been training for 15 years, all you need to do is box and wrestle for 1 year, and he's yours."

-Bruce Lee

:bowdown:

11. Kuet

Kuet New Member

you training at amc ? you bastard!! .... i wish i lived around there ....i was actually thinking of going there to check it out .....i live about 3 hours away..... did you talk to leben ? hes one of my fav. non contenders :x:

12. Mega-JC: Da Return

I didn't get to talk to him. He probably gets alot of unwanted attention already. I'm sure thats the last thing he wants when he goes in to train.

13. KOedX

KOedX New Member

learning how to throw a punch is awesome, learning how to take one sucks.. Boxing is great but if your bad at it (like myself) you gotta know when to stop.. the brain can only take so much.. Good luck man, you will love it...