A&P My first attempt at photography with new 30D + 70-200L IS

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by LowLikeWhoaF150, Apr 16, 2006.

1. My gf was asked to go to a photoshoot in philly yesterday. So being the overprotective bf I am I went along with her and I brought my camera also just for shits and giggles. I wasn't really planning on taking any shots because I didn't want to disturb the guys who invited her up for the shoot. Well the guys were cool as hell, both guys had 20d's and were very friendly. I held the reflector for them sometimes and sometimes they held it for me. And it was also good because one guy had a (24-104 L? dunno exactly what the max mm was but it was not the 24-70) and the other guy had an even closer lens and I had my 70-200 so we werent in eachothers way at all and we all got some pretty nice shots. Well actually I got a few cameras and legs and arms in some of my shots.. But I don't care becuase it wasn't my shoot anyways. :)

Anyways here's a few of mine, I didn't post process these any, well other than resize and adding a border. :hs: I shot about a gig's worth, and suprisingly they all came out pretty nice imo. These are just a few that I randomly picked. I don't have time to sort through them all. These days it's kinda tough to find time to have fun. :wtc:

This is just a random thing I saw at the shoot site, I thought it was pretty cool. :dunno:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cropped this one a little.
    [​IMG]

The wind was harsh all day. I don't like this shot at all, it's too dark and I don't like the lighting but I like the background. :mamoru:
    [​IMG]

meh
    [​IMG]

2. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

[​IMG]

someone caption this "my pussy hurts" :o

3. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I enjoyed the first photo. great crop/composition.

4. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

:rofl:

Or "I shouldn't have eaten that burrito"

5. :rofl: she was holding her skirt down because it kept flipping up because of the wind :mamoru:

I think in this pic she was listening to one of the photographers ideas. I was just bored snapping a couple extra shots.

6. The Green Bastard

The Green Bastard Click click click bang

Nice pics + Mega Hawt GF. :big grin:

7. no critiques?

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

gradient text :nuts:

9. :rofl:

This is my first time attempting model photography with my new DSLR and a zoom lens that is the definition of Overkill when it comes to model photography and the only thing that sucks about my pics is the gradient text?!?! :eek3: I must be dam good :coold:

10. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Yep, Your already shooting at a tomash level :bigthumb: although you have more pixels than he does (200,000).

heres some thoughts:

[​IMG]
    Background is funny and crooked, makes me want to turn my head. It may not have been intentional but you have her facing into the center of the frame which is a plus. I would have maybe moved her left a smidge.

[​IMG]
    But I poop from there. Also, background :greddy:

[​IMG]
    Great line up, great background, good pose! It seems to need more light. The shadows on her cleavage and crutch are too dark, hair lacks a little colour & glow, but it does add an interesting touch. If you had a soft flash bouncing from the right it would have been :bigthumb:

[​IMG]
    Slightly too warm for me, however the sign on the door and the hand between her legs is very suggestive... great work ;)

11. :bigthumb: thanks for the comments!

12. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I love the first shot. :cool:

13. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

i don't really like any of them. the shoe one is okay, but the model looks awkward

14. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

not bad.. better than i can do probably. my suggestion is though.. 70-200? i dunno.. i'd pick a diff lens for shooting a model or something. but hot gf and good pics..minor things wrong.. but nothing terrible

15. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

70-200 IS does fine for portrait shots. The 85 or 135 would be better, though.

16. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I plan to use my 70-200 for the bulk of my portraits :noes:

17. Derrict

The photos would be sharper, better DOF. The 70-200 IS is good but it doesn't compare to the 85 f/1.8 (or 1.4) or 135L f/2.0 when it comes to portrait shots. If you think those two lenses wouldn't make a difference, pass me what you're smoking.

18. Derrict

[​IMG]

She's got the 50 cent smile going on there.

19. :mamoru: Derrict man you missed out, I invited you to come up! :)

Lets see your lotus pics :x: :bigthumb: Did you whip out your 70-200 at all at the car show?

20. Derrict

21. Yea he was one of the guys. The other guys is Tony, they're both from speedimpact.com. I hung out with them a few times at NOPI events and never really talked to them both a whole lot but after hanging out and chatting this weekend we're all friends.

22. Derrict

I was in Wilmington to ~ 9 pm. We finished up the shoot on the Lotus at around 7:40 then went to the owner's place to hang out for a bit. I told ya to give me a holler once you were done. I could've used Christina to pose :naughty:

Next time I'm down, I'll let you know. A few of his friends own Ferraris so I'll be heading down again once my schedule opens up at the end of May.

a few low res shots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dinner ran a little late so I only had about 10 minutes of good lighting. I brought my tripod for once the sun set but the security guys came out :\ No time to find another location to shoot so we called it a night.

23. Derrict

Their event coverage pics from SEMA kinda suck :mamoru:

24. Yea it seems every time the tripod comes out so does security. Definately give me a hollar when the ferraris come out to play. If you can give me a little more advanced notice that'd be awesome. I didn't even know you were in town until like mid day and originally I didn't have any plans so I definatly could have been chillin with you and the lotus if I had more heads up. :)

25. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

v8 or 4cyl? im going to own that car one day.