MMA My fight predictions v UFC 71

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by phuree, May 12, 2007.

1. phuree

phuree New Member

Chuck Liddell Vs. Quinton Jackson

Personally I believe this is Quinton’s fight to lose. He has excellent striking, great ground game and is probably the strongest in the weight class next to Dan Henderson. Currently ranked 8 in the world his last loss was to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua due to KO. Since his fight with Liddell he has fought 10 times garnering a 7-3 record. Considering those losses were to Wanderlei Silva (Twice) that’s a fantastic record. Looking at his recent promo training session his speed is still fantastic, he is currently training in altitude up at Big Bear. Keep in mind Jackson is accustomed to a 10 minute first round so I don’t believe conditioning will be an issue. A couple of his main issues with be elbow strikes, and the cage even though he has been training in one since his fight with Marv Eastman. Like I said earlier this is Quintons fight to loose, he has all the tools to beat Liddell. Let’s just hope he uses them.

Quinton by KO in 1 or 3, or Decision.

Link to vid:
    http://www.sherdog.com/Videos/Videos.asp?v_id=1165

If anything I love this mans Character.

Terry Martin Vs. Ivan Salaverry

Terry Martin has fantastic knockout power. His last fight against Jorge Rivera only lasted 14 seconds. A huge leap forward for this man is that UFC has let him use his inhaler for his asthma, although this can also be to his detriment being that this can affect his pacing and timing. Although he has won some fights (5) due to submission, I doubt his ground game or take down defense is anything stellar.

Ivan Salaverry comes from a K-1 background so expect some great kicks and great speed. He is titled as a pancreas fighter but I don’t believe this is his true strength. Having a less than stellar record (12-4) pulling out victories on some mid to low level fighters many believe him to be the underdog.

Expect this to be a standing fight to end in the first or second round.

Martin by KO

Josh Burkman Vs. Karo Parisyan

Burkman (8-3) coming from TUF is billed as a wrestler, most of his fights have wins from either Guillotines or Naked Chokes. He is obviously looking to take this fight to the ground and early. I see this man taking it to the ground but only by his standards.

Parisyan (16-4) is leaps and bounds more experienced than Burkman. Being a Judo fighter, he also wants to take this fight to the ground, winning 9 of his 16 fights by submission.

This fight is really a toss up to me but I believe is Parisyan dictates the pace he should take the Decision in 3

Houston Alexander Vs. Keith Jardine

Alexander (6-1) a relative new comer to MMA looks extend his win streak to 7. Being a relatively well rounded fighter has to take this to the ground to have ANY chance against Jardine.

Jardine (12-2) excellent striker with little to no take down defense, absolutely has to keep this fight standing up.

Jardine should run through Alexander in the 1st.

Kalib Starnes Vs. Chris Leben

Another TUF showdown, YAY….not really.

Leben is coming off a tough loss from Jason Mac Donald. He should want to keep this fight standing even though he is at a reach disadvantage. His main weakness is his lackluster ground game.

Starnes wants this to be a ground war and he will probably get it. Having a height and reach advantage is should be easy from him to take this to the floor where he is comfortable.

Starnes by sub in 2 or 3

2. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

interesting,

i would give Alexander the win though in the Jardine vs. Alexander matchup....Jardine seriously needs to work on takedown defense....not everyone is going to stand with the guy long enough to get knocked out...

3. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I'm going with Salaverry over Martin but otherwise I agree with most of what you said :bigthumb:

4. phuree

phuree New Member

Yeah, blame autotext on that one.

5. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

How is Karo v. Burkman a toss up?

6. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

hopefully leben loses and he dissappears from the ufc