GUN My FFL received a shipment today

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

My FFL received a shipment today *pics*

I bought one of the you-fix-em 7.62 Mausers that Century Arms has been importing. I decided to take a chance on it, seeing as if it were completely shot-out the receiver would be a good basis for a custom gun. I've seen the rifle now, and it's rough to say the least, probably not shoot-able with the bore in it's current condition. I'm going to work on it some more, but the good news is that the receiver is in great condition. It's a factory 42 German Mod. 98 from 1939. There was only a little surface rust which easily came off with some extra fine steel wool and oil. I pulled the ejector box, the whole bolt and the trigger assembly apart and checked for rust pitting, cleaned and oiled everything. The bolt even glides pretty smooth, and locks up tight. No play when the bolt is closed at all. Maybe I can get the bore in decent shape and shoot it, but if I can't I guess I would look for a N.O.S. barrel or a clean used one and get it finish reamed in .308.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, although I will need to put a front sight blade on it if I can salvage the barrel.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I thought some pictures were in order, my father has my camera with him currently so these are the auction pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

After many hours of cleaning, it looks like the bore is pretty much junk. :( It's unfortunate too, because the rifling looks like it was in decent condition before it got neglected, the throat even looks good. I guess these things just sat uncleaned for a very long time. If I can find a barrel I will probably have it redone since the receiver/action is still in plenty good enough shape.