GUN my FFL guy had surgery so i won't get my pistol til monday

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by s2k, Jul 18, 2008.

1. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

:(

SP-01 Tactical, son

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Sorry to hear broseph...

My FFL just came to my house today to deliver and call in two guns I had come in :).

Tell your FFL to stop being such a pussy, you have shooting to do and he's fucking with your chi.

3. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

your FFL delivers? :eek3:

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

'Fo sho my man. We tight like that.

Actually, he's friend of family and I live on his way home, so if I don't stop in the store he usually stops by the house and drops stuff off/whatnot.

Small town communities FTW.

5. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

i should do that, get a FFL-1 license, and delivers guns to peoples :eek3:

so how hard is it to get a FFL-1???

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I had a meeting with BATFE a while ago about such.

Depends on a lot of things. If you get a FFL, you need a storefront of some sort. You also need to keep regular hours. There is also a ton of paperwork to keep up with, and legal red tape.

It's not "hard", but if you think you are just going to snap one up to save yourself transfer fees, you are mistaken.

There is a ton of information about this floating about the web, some good, some shitty. I suggest if you are interested that you read some things, and contact a lawyer/ATF guy who knows what's up. Having someone who knows what you need to do explain things to you helps tremendously.

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I have personally dealt with two ffl's here in virginia that work out of their homes. I believe they are incorporated, but they don't have a storefront or regular hours, and they exist for the sole purpose of receiving guns in the mail and doing transfers.

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I've seen guys around here doing that kind of stuff too. I'm not quite for sure how exactly that works. I know a lot of the older guys around here that do that (my FFL used to be one of them, but he retired and opened a shop) have had FFL's for dozens of years.

I think the problem comes when you try to get a new one, now. ATF seemed pretty big on the whole storefront thing, and that seemed to be a make or break thing. They even balked when I mentioned selling guns online until I mentioned setting up a dedicated website (the storefront). I was planning on using an extra building on my farm as my "storefront" which was ok by them (but I needed "regular hours"), as long as it had a separate mailing address.

I haven't went through with it yet, as I'm still trying to decide whether or not it would be worth it for me (gun market is down, I might be moving in the next year or two, all the red tape to deal with, etc).

I am by no means an authority on the subject, I'm just relaying what was discussed with me, and the feelings I got from them (the ATF). I seriously suggest that anyone considering such ventures talk to a lawyer who deals in these kinds of things, and your local ATF branch. They will direct you better than I could.

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I've seen guys around here doing that kind of stuff too. I'm not quite for sure how exactly that works. I know a lot of the older guys around here that do that (my FFL used to be one of them, but he retired and opened a shop) have had FFL's for dozens of years.

I think the problem comes when you try to get a new one, now. ATF seemed pretty big on the whole storefront thing (you have to use your FFL as a business, not as a way to enhance your collection), and that seemed to be a make or break thing. They even balked when I mentioned selling guns online until I mentioned setting up a dedicated website (the storefront). I was planning on using an extra building on my farm as my "storefront" which was ok by them (but I needed "regular hours"), as long as it had a separate mailing address.

I haven't went through with it yet, as I'm still trying to decide whether or not it would be worth it for me (gun market is down, I might be moving in the next year or two, all the red tape to deal with, etc).

I am by no means an authority on the subject, I'm just relaying what was discussed with me, and the feelings I got from them (the ATF). I seriously suggest that anyone considering such ventures talk to a lawyer who deals in these kinds of things, and your local ATF branch. They will direct you better than I could.

10. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

also, is it probable that the laws vary from state to state? or is this primarily a federal issue.

I must say, I really don't see how virginia could be any more gun friendly.