SRS my father went into rehab today, they think its going to kill him

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fittsjr, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Fittsjr

Fittsjr New Member

well the basics are, he is 52 years old and has been a sever alcoholic for atleast 30 years. He tried detox just before my mother left back in the 80's (20+ years ago) and almost died then, I dont know the specifics as my mother will not tell yet.

so this morning he went into Detox again, after a 24 hour observation in the ER. We (my brother and I) dont believe the story he feed us, that he passed out at work. He habitually lies about his drinking.

When they check him in and check his vitals, Blood pressure was 140 over 126. a Ticking time bomb for a stroke. even after blood pressure meds were give they only went to 130 over 120.

they said the next three days could be VERY rough, if not fatal.

WTF, Detox fatal from alcohol. Granted me and my father are nowhere near close. mainly due to I got the worst end of the stick from his alcoholism.

But what a freaking reality check

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Look at it this way, at least he didn't die before he got to rehab and hopefully he'll be ok.

Alcohol is a sugar and I've heard of people having all sorts of problems trying to come off it. I've heard of some dying but it wasn't many (like 1 or 2) and it's been a long time since I heard that. I can't remember the stories....I read them somewhere, I think. Most people are ok even if the alcoholic doesn't think so. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Anyways, it's good that he's in a facility because if anything happens they will be able to help him. Most people are amazed at the transfromation of their loved ones when they get out of treatment. However, recovery is a long process and it's a roller coaster ride so don't think that just because he's been to rehab for 30 days and looks a lot better that everything is ok. It takes awhile for things to straighten out.

3. Fittsjr

Fittsjr New Member

i hear you.

I've already started to get things squared away incase something happens in the next 3 days. getting all the bills paids and such up to the end of April incase I'm away from home for the next couple weeks. Mainly they are worried about a stoke. But from what my Brother has been saying (we have been talking almost all night) is that the treatment facility is abit worried about his medical condition combined with withdraw effects. It doesnt help that he has been smoking 3-4 packs of ciggs/day for just as long.

4. Coottie

Well the best thing is...they know about it and they are all watching out. You might ask if they have licensed nurses on staff and how often. You might also discuss their "procedures" if something should happen to him. Perhaps talking to the director of the facility would help ease your fears a bit.

I dunno, when processes are unfamiliar and someone else is in control, I sometimes get paranoid. Hell I even did this when I was in the hospital from my car wreck. I just like to know shit I guess.

Anyways back to your dad. I think some preparation is good but I don't think it's healthy to dwell on what might happen. Sure you need to take all precautions in case something does happen...then go on living your life. I mean there's no reason to stop everything just becasue somethig might go wrong right???

5. wayne and zeus

wayne and zeus oh it will, won't it

He should be OK if they medicate him properly (Librium).

6. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

It sounds like he had a seizure at work.

When I was in rehab, they told me that heroin withdrawal was harder, but you wouldn't die like you could from alcohol. A friend of mine who volunteers at a rehab center told me of a habitual relapser who died on his way to the hospital for another round of treatment.

He's where he needs to be right now. Hopefully he will get the first three steps before he is released.

7. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

alcohol is actually a class 2 narcotic, and the only drug with lethal withdrawals

8. charles foster kane

charles foster kane New Member

While you said you weren't too close, hope you get through it ok and good luck with the whole deal. There's more to family death than the passing

9. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

The reason why people die from detox is from the semi permanent changes in brain and blood chemistry and equilibrium from alcoholism. The body becomes used to high levels of alcohol in the system and it becomes the normal state of functioning. Taking the alcohol out of the system causes lots of problems. My mother had severe with drawl concerns when she was admitted to the hospital for near lethal alcohol poisoning.

She arrived to the hospital with a BLA of .5. She was semi comatose when they arrived at her house. She was in the hospital for about 3 days and it was some of the roughest times I have ever had in my life. It came as a shock because she was sober for nearly 13 years, and when my brother graduated from high school she started hitting the bottle, and hitting it hard.

I hope things turnout for you and your father. You must remember though, when he pulls through, you must protect yourself. Even after events like this, alcoholics can be very well content with destroying their lives, or what is left of them, even further. It sounds horrible, but please be prepared for anything. I wish you the best of luck.

10. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

I dont understand this. Since death is a potential risk for alcohol withdrawl why wouldn't a slower plan of decreasing dosages be implemented?

11. Coottie

It would seem like the right thing to do.....to taper someone off. However, there are many, many stories of ppl in AA that have tried to "taper off". These alcoholics tapered right back on later.

Doctors have other drugs that can help ease patients suffering. However, I'm not a doctor nor do I have any experience with this so I dunno overall how effective these plans are.

My experience with my own addiction leads me to believe that it's only for the moderation of the physical symptoms. Chemical addictions are much more complex and complicated than just physically needing a drug.

12. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

well,the problem is alcohol has made the person's life unmanageable, so, to attempt to "drink less" wont work, or he would have long before it became lethal.

13. d0nk3y_d!ck

d0nk3y_d!ck New Member

shit is rough, I wish him the best :sad2:

14. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

sorry to hear, I hope for the best

15. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

woah there! the "tapering off" method would be a safety measure so that the guy won't DIE. you cant cure an alcoholic by killing him. unless i am missing some key aspect of life, it is much better to be a living alcoholic than a dead man who had all the will to quit. if anything at all, taper him off untill he is not at risk of death and THEN go cold turkey.

16. Krazy

Krazy OT Supporter

Not true. Xanax withdrawal can also be lethal.