SRS my father has a drug problem and i really need advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by babar, May 20, 2007.

1. babar

babar Active Member

backstory:

he suffers from depression, hurt his back 15 years ago, got hooked on pain killers, went to treatment, was fine for 13 years. about 2 years ago, he hurt his back again, went thru depression, and started taking pain killers again.

well i just saw him over the weekend and hes an absolute mess. my Mom has pretty much given up, she spends her time in a summer home right now, while hes in florida. she's content with him living a surreal life, being buzzed 24/7. The truth is i havent seen my "father" in 2 years and it pains me seeing him numb from everything. I finally went up to him and told him he has a serious drug addiction. he broke down, pretty much looking helpless. i have a week off before my job begins and ive decided to drive down home from college and im gonna get this shit out of him. He agreed for me to come home....and i plan on sticking me and him in my room, and im gonna help him through this. my mother has no idea of whats going to happen. im sad. im angry. i cant put him in a treatment center, he's going to lose his job if that happens. im gonna hope i can get him clean, and get him to change his lifestyle....if he continues to afterwards, i think my only option is a treatment center.

Any advice would help on this situation. things to expect, ways to help him withdrawal, any stories....thanks.

2. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

How long did it take for him to overcome this addiction the first time?

Why is she content with this?

Has she given up?

I'm assuming that you went away for school.

Not to ruin your track of wanting to help your dad but honestly wha do you think you can do in a week?

The way people rely on these pain killers and etc., do you honestly think that a week will be able to help him? A week would be a good start but someone is going to have to be there constantly to break this habit. That's what treatment centers are for.

You also said that if your father is placed in a treatment center he will lose his job.

What does your dad do?

Hey I might be wrong but I have seen someone go downhill and let me tell you it has been probably the worst fall or a family that I have seen in my entire life.

You know like I said I might be wrong with what I have said in my post but if you can fix this addiction in a week then that GREAT! Your a good person for trying to help him out! Most people probably wouldn't do it! Good Luck that's all i have to say I guess.

Here is my story....

My neighbor(we have been neighbors for 21 years). She is in her 40's. She was a big drinker and has diabetes. Well, in and out of the hospital drug addiction to pain killers and such.

To make a long story short.

She has been through intervention and it worked the first time. Now she is pretty much a vegetable. She cant talk, lost all of her hair, weighs about 75 pounds, wanders in a dead state of mind! She can't do anything for herself. She has to be cared for 24/7 and it's sad.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

15 years later, isn't there the (possibility) of an hospital operation to releave him of his back pain? If his job is in jeopardy could he possibly get treatment anti-addiction medication , or alternative pain medication on what he's using now? And maby just visit a clinic during the weekends?

4. Gregsaidthat

I kinda asked the same questions and now I'm just waiting for them to be answered!

5. babar

babar Active Member

i was too young to remember how long it took him to overcome.
    My mother has given up.
    when i say "havent seen", i havent seen the father who raised me....i havent seen him laugh in 2 years, or show any emotion whatsoever. Im about to break down just writing this.

i called a hotline and ive decided to send him to a treatment center.

6. BStark

BStark Well looky here. OT Supporter

Make sure you send him to reputable center. Stay away from Narconon. I used to be a Security Officer for them, and believe me, you don't want him to be there. 98% of it is a sham.

7. Gregsaidthat

A treatment center will probably be the better bet!

8. babar

babar Active Member

should i contact his parents?

when do i tell my mother what im about to do?

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Your mother has already given up, so although she has the right to know, don't count on her support. You don't have to contact your grandparents, your dad is a grown up who has to be responsible for yourself, you can contact them if you want. So you can contact them ,and personally i would formulate a plan and contact a rehab clinic for information, before you present it to your mom, who will probably just come with a negative reaction, her reaction won't help your dad, your initiative has more chance of succes.

10. Gregsaidthat

He hit the nail on the head again.

Going and telling the grandparents or your mother is not going to help him. The reaction that you get from them is probably one that your not going to want to hear. They have the right to know if you feel you can break this to them in the correct way!

11. Grass

Grass New Member

as i posted in the main forum, there are severe consequences (i.e. seizures) than can occur if you simply stop taking pills like xanax after taking them for awhile.

please be careful!

12. tamara

tamara New Member

Approaching tips:

-Talk about your feelings. Tell your father you’re worried, and how it feels for you to see him drunk.

-Tell your father what you’ve seen him do when drinking. Give specific examples. Tell him you want to help.

13. teo

teo . => ? => !

Don't forget to head on over to the Road to Recovery forum. There are many recovering addicts there who have been addicted to everything under the sun - they're more likely to give you more accurate advice based on experience than we will here. They will likely suggest that you attend a Narcotics Anonymous meeting in your area as the groups are for the families of addicts as well as the addicts themselves.

14. Panoptimist

Panoptimist Put a bangin' donk on it.

goddamn, the same thing is happening to my dad. he hurt is back and broke his leg years ago, and now the pain is killing him plus he does manual labor. now he's all up on those pills.