My FAIR GT4 vs. Forza thread. v.I haven't done this yet.

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by assclown, May 7, 2005.

1. assclown

assclown Active Member

Let me start out by saying I am in no way a "fan boy" of either system. I buy just about every system that is released. They all have their pros and cons IMO.

Anyway, I just played Forza for a legitimate amount of time and thought I would take the time out to give a brief review/comparison of both games for people who are still stuck in the middle.

Presentation:

Off the bat i'm gonna have to say I was more impressed by GT4. It has a far more sophisticated look and feel to it. The menus, which may be a bit overwhelming at first, allow much more freedom to the player. The menu background music is also a lot less stressful to the ears in GT4. Forza's immediate playing hard rock soundtrack was a bit too much for me to take in as soon as I turned the game on :o

Winner - GT4.

Gameplay

This is probably the most important aspect when comparing the two games. GT4, being the 4th part of an established series, has the gameplay down pat IMO. A good balance of speed, cornering, simulation and fun. Forza felt good too. I was impressed right from when my car launched onto the Nurburgring track but had even more fun around Alpine Ring (I believe) in a Class D Integra Type R. The game felt more realistic and refined around that track using that car.

GT4 gives more of a sense of speed though. Blasting down Nurburgring in an all out race car is far more exciting and thrilling than it is in Forza. I felt a lot more relaxed playing Forza rather than on the edge in GT4.

Damage was nice to see, but from my experience so far does not affect the car's characteristics. Somebody please correct me if i'm wrong. Also, I always play in first person view, so I never got to see the damage. I don't think these games were meant to be played in the 3rd person view, that kinda defeats the purpose of it being a simulator.

In Forza, autocross was a good concept but poorly executed IMO. Rather than the cones being set up as a real auto-x track would (with the cones on their side around turns for example) it's more of a drive through the cones around a tight track sort of thing.

Another thing I was disappointed with in Forza was the fact that I was limited to the choice of 6 cars when starting career mode. You are asked to choose a home region (North America, Asia or Europe) and from there you have the choice of buying six cars.

Many of you may have noticed that in most (if not all) racing games, changing the view has a legitimate effect on the frames per second. This is another reason why I always choose the first person view. The game moves much faster. Something I noticed in Forza was that there are two first person views. One puts you a bit higher on the road, and one a bit lower. The lower view makes the game feel faster, however it is too low to the ground. The higher view makes the game move a little bit slower but is too high IMO. I found this to be a little annoying and found myself changing views a lot to get the full effect of the game. I suppose if you play in the third person view this won't be an issue, but not having tried those in either game for more than about 15 seconds, I can not comment on them.

Winner - GT4. Although both games are fun to play, GT4 edges out Forza overall. GT4 is a more in depth game even before mentioning the 700+ cars.

Graphics

Both games obviously look great, however GT4 edges Forza out on this one. It's hard to explain but everything seems to look more realistic and in depth in GT4. Forza has great graphics, but they seemed a little plain, and lacked depth. It looks more like a video game rather than realistic.

Winner - GT4.

Sound:

Forzas soundtrack was annoying to me from the get go. The lack of versatility in the soundtrack (it's all Hard Rock) is also a bit annoying. The game DOES however allow for custom soundtrack, which is a big plus if you take advantage of this. The cars in Forza sounded nice, but I wouldn't say it's an improvement over GT4.

Winner - Tie. GT4 has a much better soundtrack, however Forza allows for custom soundtrack. The cars sound OK in both games, but neither sounds better than the other.

Overall:

Both games look, feel, and sound great, however, Forza is just not the calibur game GT4 is on a simulation level. Online play and visual car modifications, although great additions, just aren't enough to compare this one to GT4.

If you own both systems, GT4 will be the better choice for you.
    If you own a PS2, don't buy an XBOX just for Forza.
    If you own a XBOX, it depends how hardcore of a racing game fan you are. Forza should keep you happy, but if you thrive for a more refined racing game, and have extra money, you may want to look into GT4. I'd suggest playing it somewhere first to see if it's worth the extra cash to you.

There's my review. It may seem one-sided, but like I said i'm not a fan of either system more than the other, and have played each game enough to make a legitimate comparison.

In the end, GT4 was Teh New Hotness and Forza wasn't for a reason. :o If you don't trust me with this review, trust Fazle for that :hsugh:

2. above & beyond

above & beyond No One on Earth

cliffs: GT4 > Forza

3. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

I read that whole thing.. :hsugh:

4. The Gorn

The Gorn Come to my planet so I can eff U up

:mamoru:

You must be joking with the presentation and graphics I stopped reading after that.

Fanboy faggot.

5. Seriously

Seriously Still hanging on to 2004 OT Supporter

6. assclown

assclown Active Member

Do you honestly think Forza's overall menu system is better than GT4s?

GT4 looks more realistic to me IMO, Forza looks like another racing game.

7. above & beyond

forza looks like NFS from what i've seen in screenshots.

8. You're an idiot if you think cars sound better in GT4 than in Forza. It's not even close, Forza is hands down better. All the rest are pretty subjective.

9. Yeahdoug

Yeahdoug OT Supporter

IGN's review even said GT4s graphics were better in everyway.

10. RichieZero

RichieZero All I got in this world, is my balls, and my word. OT Supporter

You've obviously never had your steering rack damaged. :wtc:

11. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

the cars in gt4 all sound like ass if you put racing exhaust on them

12. CapCrunch

CapCrunch OT Supporter

GT4 > FORZA

TRUTH™

13. assclown

assclown Active Member

I can't bring myself to play Forza's Career extensively. :o It seems too linear for some reason. Also the view thing and this soundtrack is driving me off the wall :mad:

It's a fun game to play though :hs:

14. Trouser Trout

Trouser Trout OT Supporter

:werd:

15. Kriddaw

Kriddaw More than meets the eye.

Yeah, I'm unbiased as hell and that comparison is so one sided...

The sounds of the cars in Forza are perfect. They sound like the should.

They also handle like they should when you buy them, stock, the front doesn't dive 6 feet.

I liked photo mode and replays in GT4, The driving was nice, a little nicer than Forza but forza is right up there with it.

Graphics are awesome on both games, I like my PS2 and have two games for my xbox and right now the xbox is taking up all my time.

Personally they are both pretty equal but since Forza has online play and a whole lot replay value and more competition online, Forza wins in my book.

16. RichieZero

RichieZero All I got in this world, is my balls, and my word. OT Supporter

You didn't talk about controls. Triggers > buttons. And don't talk to me about the PS2 analog sticks, those things hurt my thumbs.

17. assclown

assclown Active Member

The triggers are nice to use, much better than holding the X button down IMO. GT4 does have the driving force pro though, which is > *

Honestly the cars in Forza sound nice, but nothing to rave over. This Ferrari doesn't sound too great IMO. I'm using 5.1 too.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing Forza, it's a fun game but there's been a lot of comparison between it and GT4 and GT4 just takes the cake IMO.

18. JConnX

JConnX Guest

I like Forza's soundtrack :o

19. Kriddaw

Yeah car starts pulling in one direction and damaging your drivetrain and aerodynamics, you car takes longer to shift and your car does not top out at as much. If you have simulation damage on your motor gets damaged if you hit the rev limiter too much.

Forza is way more realistic IMO, you pay for damage.

20. above & beyond

there has been huge debates re: damage.

do you damage your car on purpose to experience the damage realism of the game?? or do you know how to drive, as if you were in real life, aka dont crash into anything.

21. Kriddaw

Eh, when I did the Modena 360 race it sounded like I as playing F355 Challenge, I know you guys have played that game. You're crazy.

22. assclown

assclown Active Member

:coold: I never knew that (i don't crash too much :hsugh: )

That's awesome though. +1 for Forza.

23. Trouser Trout

Trouser Trout OT Supporter

I bought Forza last week. I don't think I'll be playing GT4 for a long time :o

24. Kriddaw

I don't crash, I don't force myself past people but I can't help people slamming into the back of me at turn one when they forget to brake and then we both pay for it because our cars are damaged, their car usually gets the worst of it because it will start pulling to one direction from a front corner hit.

25. Sebulous

Sebulous New Member

you must be conditioned to play Xbox, cause I would race the 24 hour races in 12 hour stretches in 2 days. Back starting with GT1 for that matter. Guess which ever your adapted to. (i do have large hands, big enough to fit Xbox controller losely in case your wandering)