My experience with Melatonin

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Oscar, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar

Oscar Guest

I was having issues getting to sleep, I guess because of stress. My mind would be racing, even after a really active day...Anyway, picked some up and so far, so good. :bigthumb: I'm 6"2, 225 and so far it's only taken one pill, which is 3 mg, to put me to sleep within 15-20 mins. For anyone who has trouble sleeping, it's worth giving it a try I think. No noticible side effects either, in fact I sometimes feel a bit depressed and lately my mood's been better. That could very well be because I'm sleeping on a regular schedule now though.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I take 6mg before bed every night. great sleep, but I sleep even better when I take melatonin and L-Theanine before bed

3. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Only thing I'd add is if you have issues with waking dreams/hypnogogic stuff- melatonin will WACK you out. If I take it I get even weirder dreams than usual and it makes my quality of sleep worse.

4. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Yeah I get some trippy dreams on melatonin.

5. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

I'm afraid to take it, but I've considered it. :sad2:

6. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

My problem is falling asleep, its staying asleep. I wake up to take a leak every night like clockwork, sometimes twice. I play sports late at night and lift late, so I don't have a choice but to drink water before bed.

7. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

doesn't it lower LH levels?

8. Knucklehead Zoo

Knucklehead Zoo New Member

Can I find this at my local Vitamin World? What is the difference between melatonin and L-theanine?

Edit: NM just looked it up on wikipedia :coold:

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

It won't hurt you at all :dunno: it's not like prescription sleeping pills. It's cheap as dirt too.

10. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I think I got 60 3mg pills for like 8 bucks or something. :bigthumb:

11. tenmeikanoh

tenmeikanoh New Member

Sometimes feel a little groggy in the morning after taking it, but that's about the only drawback I've seen.

12. John Blaze

John Blaze New Member

it doesn't form habits?

13. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

You can become dependent on it and if used long term it can shut down your body's natural production of it.

14. Elfling

Elfling New Member

You'd have to take high doses over a long period of time to worry about anything.

http://www.supplementwatch.com/suplib/supplement.asp?DocId=1192
    Description Melatonin is a hormone produce by the pineal gland in the brain. It is synthesized from the amino acid tryptophan. Melatonin levels are lowest during midday and production peaks at night. In some animals, melatonin is necessary for regulation of light/dark cycle behavior like sleeping/waking, sexual maturation and waking. In humans, melatonin appears to have an inhibitory effect of early maturation. Claims Promotes sleep
    Reduced symptoms of jet-lag
    Slows the aging process
    Increases sex hormone secretion
    Acts as an antioxidant
    Theory In animals, melatonin seems to help regulate seasonal behaviors (mating, molting, hibernation), which are related to daily light/dark cycles. In humans, melatonin helps regulate our "internal clock". The onset of darkness results in an increased production of melatonin in the brain, while the light of morning tells the brain to stop producing melatonin. Melatonin levels are 10 times higher at night than during the day. Scientific Support Melatonin supplementation has been shown to lower core body temperature, produce acute hypnotic effects and induce the onset of sleep in a variety of subjects including military pilots, jet-lagged travelers, elderly patients and individuals with delayed sleep disorder. Melatonin has also shown some benefit in helping to reset the biological clock of shift workers who tend to have peak melatonin levels during the day. As an antioxidant, melatonin has shown benefits in protecting cells against oxidative stress by scavenging hydroxyl radicals and preventing oxidative damage to DNA, lipids and cellular proteins. Melatonin is also thought to play a role in the regulation of human menstrual cycle, as evidenced by the finding that women with hypothalamic amenorrhea have melatonin levels 3X higher than normal. High-dose melatonin supplements have been used pharmacologically in studies to suppress ovulation for birth control purposes. Safety The interactions of melatonin with other supplements or drugs is unknown, but some studies suggest that melatonin can induce or deepen depression in susceptible individuals. Melatonin supplements may also be dangerous for people with cardiovascular risks, due to the possibility of vasoconstriction and increased blood pressure. The National Institutes of Health has warned about possible dangers of melatonin supplementation, including infertility, reduced sex drive in males, hypothermia, retinal damage and interference with hormone replacement therapy. Information regarding the long-term effects of melatonin supplements is unavailable. Value Relatively inexpensive and non-addictive alternative to over the counter chemical sleep aids. Particularly useful as a short-term regulator of sleep/wake cycles in cases such as getting your body clock back on schedule after crossing several time zones (jet lag). Dosage Studies of melatonin as a sleep aid or for relief of symptoms associated with let-lag have shown 1-10mg to be effective, depending on the degree of sleep disturbance. High dose melatonin supplements (~50mg) may disrupt female fertility and menstrual patterns and should be avoided except under the supervision of a reproductive physician.

15. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

16. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Yeah, that's a few handfuls or so :mamoru:

17. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I took 3mg and 2 tylenol pm's last night and that shit knocked me out with a quickness.

18. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

19. {hydro}

{hydro} OT Supporter

Is this stuff available over the counter?

20. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

thc is the best sleep aid.

21. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Very much so.

22. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Yay for modern medicine--treat the symptom and not the cause. ;)

23. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Jesus christ. Melatonin is a naturally occurring substance in your body in the first place.

24. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

25. Steve325

Steve325 Guest

I only use it occasionally when I have to goto sleep on an earlier than usual schedule. I've read some bad things about it too, but I'm not going to look for it and it could probably be fought against.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.