MMA my experience at the copa pacifica, with videos *long*

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by chechen, Mar 13, 2006.

1. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

Well I had been training pretty hard for the copa pacifica. I lost almost 10 pounds to make my weight division. I would train harder and more often at the academy. I would sit in my room and think about what strategies I'd use if my opponent did this or that. I was much more nervous than usual, this was my seventh competition but I had more butterflies for some reason.

Anyway, I have my first fight, and for some reason i become more relaxed then I probably should be. And yes I stalled in the last 40 seconds or so, I didn't want to get swept and go to overtime.

1- here's the vid, you can play it with VLC if you prefer. I couldnt find a good program to convert from MOV

so after my first fight im sitting there and i see a guy with a lloyd irvin patch. I had been reading on the internet about this phenom blue belt from lloyd irvin with a killer triangle named ryan hall. I think nahhhhhhhhhh, lloyd has tons of students, its not necessarily him. I go up to the guy and ask his name. "Ryan," he replies.

Well unfortunately I get matched up against him next. My gameplan is to pull guard before he does. I walk up to him to at least grab his gi, and he falls down on his butt. Now I have no choice but to venture into uncharted waters. I don't get intimidated though, and I do my best to disprove all the hype around this guy.

2- link for second fight

3- and the overtime, sorry the finish isn't shown, my friend got a little too absorbed watching, and started pointing the camera down

Overall I'm not hugely disappointed but I just think I might've gotten a lot farther if I didn't run into Ryan Hall. No one seems able to pass his guard. The other blue belts looked tough, but I wasn't super impressed with them or anything. I might have been able to escape his armbar, but it was on my left arm which I'm terrible at defending. And even if I had escaped I probably would've popped my elbow, time would run out for the overtime, and I would lose the decision. Anyway, back to the drawing board, again.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  2. Placebo

Placebo New Member

You did good man. You'll keep getting better.

Now to get the vids to work... :p

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

downloading vids now. You have nothing to be upset about, you already know you are a badass grappler ;)

4. Placebo

Placebo New Member

That guy does have a nice guard.

5. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Great matches man, I'm glad to know we have serious competitors here on this forum.

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

biggest forum on the internet I think, bound to have some sharks