SRS My entire family is depressed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Mar 31, 2007.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Me, my younger sister, and both my parents. None of us communicate with each other that well. Both of my parents go to sleep as soon as they get home from work and sleep for about 10-12 hours straight. I am sleepy all day, no matter how much sleep I get. My younger sister has recently stopped talking and sits around and watches TV all day. She is only in 7th grade. Things are not going well. My older brother has moved out and I stopped communicating with him as well as we used to. We are now on a "HI, Bye" basis. It seems like everyone in my family is in denial about our problems. My parents should be the ones who take initiative to change things but they aren't. I didn't ask to be born. I was just thrown into this circle of people and that makes me pissed.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Who cares if you didn't ask to be born? YOu are not put in the situation so you need to take initiative for yourself and be responsibile enough to take care of your entire family. Your parents seem to be working extremely hard, if both of them are working full days and then completely exhausted when they get home.

What do you guys do for dinner? Usually that's the only real family time that anyone gets. If your parents don't cook, how about you prepare something for your parents when they get home? Ask your sister to help out and just prepare something small... some pasta or something. You need to initiate the conversation or initiate a FAMILY GATHERING.

What does your brother like to do that you like to do as well? Call him and see if he wants to do something: go to a movie, hang out a starbucks, something!

Sit down and think about it: Why aren't you talking to your brother? Why aren't you talking to your sister? Why aren't you talking to your parents? It's not because one moved out, one just watches TV, and the others go to sleep early. There's more to it than that. This doesn't seem like it's anything new. Everyone is in routine mode. Throw out a curveball and see how everyone reacts to it. You might re-ignite your family.

I assume that you're a guy (i know this is going to be sexist, but it's for the best), and you are now the oldest male in the house besides the father. If your father is not taking care of the family or the house, you need to take initiative and take over. Whenever my parents leave for an extended period of time, I know what has to get done around the house. I take care of it all (even though I am not the oldest, I am the most responsible). I do all the chores around the house, I take care of the weeding and our pool/pond outside. I mow the lawn. Make sure that everyone has food for the day and make sure that there are no conflicts of interest for what we are doing.

YOU NEED TO BE RESPONSIBLE. You didn't ask for it, but you have to do it.

3. i've always said if we are in a battle for our souls, that not caring is the beginning of defeat.

4. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

What's your diet like?

5. SpaMan

SpaMan Mind over matter.

You assume you didn't ask to be born. :)