My DVD player isnt burning to full capacity...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Oct 29, 2005.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

When I select to burn at 48x for a cd, (yes my drive supports it, or else the choice wouldnt be there) it starts burning at 19x then slowly but gradually moves up to about 35x throughought the process. so like in the middle itd be burning at 27, for all you math scholars. why is this? why wont it burn at 48x right away?

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

just a guess.... cuz its early and i cant think straight yet...

but are you sure that the CD media you have supports being burned at 48x? burn speeds are a two way street. both your burner and the media have to support the desired burn speed for it to work right.

3. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

what app are you using to burn stuff with?

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

CDs and DVDs NEVER burn at their listed speeds. 48x is purely theoretical.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Incorrect, Penguin Man.

The reason burners burn slower at first is because they start burning near the center of the disc where the disc is moving slower. As the burner works its way to the outside of the disc, the burning speeds up because the disc is moving past the laser at faster and faster speeds, allowing the laser to fire off bits and bytes at a higher rate.

As such, you will only see the highest rated burn speed on a recordable disc if you're filling the disc to capacity and the data extends all the way to the outer rim of the disc, and even then it will only burn at the highest rated speed in the last few moments of the burning process. Other than that, you'll never see the highest rated speed.

EDIT: The exception to this rule is a small selection of constant-velocity burners, which spin the disc faster when the laser is reading or burning the inner portion of a disc. The reason there are so few of these is because their manufacturers all eventually realize that, if they can spin the disc faster sometimes, they might as well spin it faster all the time.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

So, what you're saying is that it's a theoretical speed.

7. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

thankyou deusexaethera, thats exactly the answer i was looking for...your a gentleman and a scholar.