My Dual Head Unit Install.. Suggestions/comments?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ScrapinSi, Oct 4, 2005.

1. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

Well, I want to put my Kenwood KDC-x859 deck into the CRV so I can have iPod control, and Sirius Radio...

Now as pimp as the KDC-x859 looks...
    [​IMG]

I don't want to ditch my factory head unit.
    #1. Its dead center on top of the dash...
    #2. Its Double Din.
    #3. Its a factory Disk 6 In Dash!!
    #4. Its got a tape player, in case i come across those old Naughty By Nature & Wham! tapes.

It Looks like this
    [​IMG]

Now I could just buy a Double Din Head Unit, but thats money... And I dont want to spend $500 on a head unit right now. I like my kenwood, and I like being custom... So I'm digging into the bag of tricks, and i'm gonna copy Earl Zausmer's old BMW 540i... And flush the Faceplate of the Kenwood underneath the rearview mirror. I'll stash the head unit itself probably underneath the driver's seat, and solder up an RJ-45 extension cable up to the rearview mirror.

All said and done, the head unit will look like this..
    [​IMG]

I was going to fiberglass it in, but I think that would be overkill, and overwork, and a wood frame with plastic filler will work much better.

Now... The dual head units... How will it work you ask? Like this..

[​IMG]

And for those that say it won't work... It does work... My Ex GF's MKIV Jetta has been like this for 4 years now with her CVA-1005. She wanted the OEM Deck for CD & Radio, and the CVA-1005 for movies.

Now I know there will be SLIGHT sound degredation from going through the relays, but using good Bosch 30amp SPDT Relays, the degredation won't be noticeable. Eventually i'll do a different setup once I start adding amps, but for now.. this will work.

Sorry for the long post, but its late, i'm working 3rd shift, and i'm bored.

Comments? Suggestions?

2. Imtoodumbtothinkofone

Imtoodumbtothinkofone New Member

Nice!!!

I'd hate to wire it all though.

I kind of had a similar idea a few years back to do pretty much the same thing, but im lazy and couldnt be stuffed with it.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

wow. holy shit wiring the hell out of relays. why not just fmmod the kenwood into the OEM. i wonder if you'll have the same degredation of sound. and have you considered the visor for the kenwood faceplate? a lil less conspicuous. just my thoughts. otherwise it should work well either way you do it.

4. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

I had thought about the visor, and i'm still considering it... But I'm going to take apart the kenwood and see what the MASK technology entails... If its not too deep, i'm going to try and make the MASK fit and function, so it will actually flip shut when not in use.

As far as the wiring goes, I LOVE wiring. I love making custom harnesses... I make ECU harnesses for my buddy's hondas, custom stereo harnesses, all kinds of stuff... I was considering soldering all the connections to the relays, but then its a pain if one of the relays ever craps out...

And I thought about FMMod... But then what's the point of the satellite quality radio, and the Digital Quality iPod, if all i'm doing is pulling it down to FM quality. The relays won't have any noticeable degredation. I'm just wondering if the fact that i'll be adding about 10-12ft of wiring, if i'll throw off the OHM load too bad. I'll hook up the meter latched & unlatched and see what happens..

Or I could just steal some Solid State Relays from work and not have to worry about it. LOL.

5. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

OMG! This gives me so many ideas for mounting places and parts. Thank you.

6. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

wayyy to much work... i had a coworker that did the same thing

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

wouldn't it be easier to get sirus and ipod through other means?
    Waste of time and money.

8. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

everybody thinks its a waste of money... it will cost me less than $50 to do this...

And sure there are other ways to do iPod & Sirius... BUT... They lose sound quality..
    FM Modulated... Sounds like poop.
    Tape Adapter... Sounds like poop.
    AUX iPod Adapter for Factory Head Unit... Works... But doesn't display song titles, or allow folder changing.

And as far as waste of time... What else am I supposed to do at work? WORK!?!?!?

And Ilvwhtgrls... What exactly did your friend do? the dual head unit setup? The molded faceplate?

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

what about an aux adaptor to RCA? if there is one available for iPod, surely you can get one OEM to RCA. Check PIE stuff ( www.pie.net ), the may have one or the X3 from PAC might also have something that you can work with. The X3 is an 3 input RCA adaptor that is universal and has another adaptor into the OEM radio. might cost more, but less work and it would be just like a CDC.

10. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

they do, but its a PIN adapterwhich means i have to control it through the iPod, and it doesn't charge my iPod... I want to be able to throw the iPod in the center console of my CRV, and not have to worry about it. With the OEM AUX adapter for the iPod, I can control it, but doesn't do song display, and doesn't allow changing to different albums/folders/etc... Then I would also need another AUX setup for the sirius... Not to mention I'd have to buy a Sirius radio because i have the Sirius Tuner Add On for my Kenwood.

11. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

he did the double deck setup...

12. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

Started the head unit tonight... Decided to start with taking it apart.. At first I was like ehhh... then realized that kenwood loves making things modular!! SWEET! So the face w/ MASK comes out as one piece, then the CD Unit is another piece, then the circuitry is a 3rd piece... Cool!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found some flat 8 conductor RJ-11 cabling laying around, used that to create the extension cable. Then I took some zip ties on both sides of the connection, and heat shrunk tube it for extra strength.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I soldered it to the underside of the circuit board, so that i wasn't actually damaging any of the original setups.
    [​IMG]

Then I put it all back together... And there is a piece of clear plastic in between the circuit board and and the bottom plate, so no grounding out is possible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the final product...
    [​IMG]

13. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

nice work...

14. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

Have you bench tested yet? I know when I did my xbox mods...

http://www.berkobin.net/xbox.htm
    http://www.berkobin.net/xbox3.htm

I had some trouble with the length of the cable. The problems were intermitten, but they were annoying. The 13' extended controller ports were pushing the limit of maximum USB cable length. I was just curious if you had a chance to see if the length of the wires was going to present a problem.

15. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

yes I bench tested them. I had a DeWalt 12v drill battery that I used. No problems. It also allowed me to eject that Big & Rich CD that i've been lookin for, for the past 6 months.. :rofl:

USB is a little different, as its 5 volts, and much more fragile than car 12volt.

16. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

it'll be a little bit before i do anything else... The other ribbon cable off the head unit is REALLY fine, and I need to pickup a magnifying lamp, and a finer tip for the soldering station... I tried doing it with my butane setup, but i don't want to risk screwing up the connection...

17. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Wow, nice :cool:

18. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

little update...

what have i done? Nothing else.. The other ribbon cable is SOO fine i had to order a new tip for my soldering iron... And its on backorder... should have it next week or the week after.. Then I can finish the wiring...

19. StealthMode

This really gives me some ideas, too bad I don't have the money or the tools to do it with.. :sad2: Looks awsome though.

20. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

Not much money involved... The head unit i've had for a few years now, the wiring was freebies i've had laying around, as was the shrink wrap... and i had my soldering iron already...

dont try this with a cheap iron though... i'm using a Weller wcc101 iron w/ adjustable temp station. Just waiting for my .015" tip to come in. 8)

21. StealthMode

Nice! I don't have a soldering iron, and my Alpine HU was sold with my last car, so, I basically have to start from scratch..
    My goal is to to put a screen in place of my Monsoon radio (double din) and mount the new HU somewhere with the face somewhere else (not sure where yet) and then maybe add a computer (Mac mini maybe) to the system, but yea, long way out from that.

22. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

Eventually i'm gonna put a navi where the stock deck goes (double din)... My TV's will be put in the headrests when the kid is a little older and wants to watch more TV...

23. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

pretty cool goings on there... i guess kenwood is good for something... i hope it don't shell after all that work... because i've never seen a working kenwood mask unit. :o

24. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

the problems with the kenwood masks were in the ribbon cables, & their circuit mounts... Both things that I wont have to worry about, as I am modding both... :)