SRS My dog is sick.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cerridwen, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Go ahead and laugh at me and tell me this isn't a serious thing, but I am really worried about my youngest pup. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow to have some tests done on him, but he's been fairly sick these past couple of days. He's not like deathly ill (as far as I know but I'm obviously not a vet). He's just been really not the same, sleeping a lot and I think he has an eye infection. You can tell by looking at him that he's ill.

My daughter is really emotional with this also. I've tried explaining to her that we are doing what we can do to help him get better (better food, I'm assuming medicine tomorrow etc), but she's still crying a lot about it. It doesn't help me feel any better either. I am really trying hard to comfort her the best that I can, but in some ways she has to realize that sometimes life is hard and people/animals DO get sick. All we can do is do what we can.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. :o

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The short lifespans of animals and their general frailty sometimes makes me question whether cultivating a pet qualifies as healthy attachment or not. I'd lose it if Dr. Chompers died :( Hang in there.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Sorry to hear your dog is sick and I pray it's just a temporary sickness. I don't think there is anything at all to be embarrassed about. Our pets are very much part of our family and we want them to be well. Hopefully the vet will give him a shot and he'll be much better very soon. :hug:

4. spizarxxx

spizarxxx DSLR, GSD, DJ CREW & OT's Resident On Air Personal

is the dog not eating? is the dogs feces smell really really horrible, like burned into your mind forever bad? if thats the case it might be parvo.

that shit gets expensive too, they will more than likely do a blood test to find out.

I really hope your dog doesnt have it, good luck!

5. bigballofyarn

bigballofyarn OT Supporter

Good idea on taking your dog to the vet. I hope it's nothing serious, and I hope they'll be able to fix everything while you're there. Try to calm your daughter and tell her that you're taking the dog to the doctor to make sure he's okay. Don't tell her he'll be fine, because if the worst happens, and he's not. then (depending on her age) she'll be mad at you for "lying" to her. Just hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. It's probably nothing too serious, and I do wish the best to you, your family, and your pets.

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

She seems better this morning now that's he's up and feeling a little playful. She is leaving for the weekend to go to the Dells with Grandma so hopefully she'll get her mind off of it and he will be feeling better by the time she comes back Sunday evening.

I really don't think it's parvo. He is up to date with all of his shots and I'm fairly sure he was vaccinated against it.

My three are my babies. They are absolutely a part of my family and I would do whatever I could to keep them healthy. Thank you for the kind words.

He's only 9 months old. He seems to be doing a lot better this morning. He has a little bit of energy in him which is a great improvement.

7. IMJ

IMJ The Bitch

:( I'm sorry. I know how that feels. When you get to know your pet you know when something is off.

I was worried about Layla a few months ago. One day she was hanging out in the dark bathroom by herself. She is the type of dog that follows you to every room of the house. It was so odd to see her in the dark bathroom alone and not even sleeping. I cried cause I thought something was seriously wrong w/her. I planned on taking her to the vet on day 3 of this but she only acted that way for 2 days. Bleh...she was just playing a joke on me. :hs:

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

It's weird because I was just ouside with him and it's like he is perfectly normal today. I was really worried about him these past couple of days and now the little shit is hyper as heck. I'm still watching him pretty carefully though. I'm hoping it was just a virus or maybe something that he ate and he worked through it himself.

9. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

my puppy seems like he get sick alot as well. he's a 10month old pitbull. every now and then he'll be very lethargic around the house and even gets diareah more than any dog should. The vet says she doesnt see anything wrong with him but i know when he's not himself and theres something wrong. it sucks when they get sick and they can't tell you whats wrong or where it hurts :(

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

haha good to hear!! It's almost like he read your post and said "uh oh....another trip to the vet. Look....look....I'm NOT sick...see, I'm all better now. Don't make them shove that thermometer up my ass...it hurts.....see...I"m OK!!!!" :)

11. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

:mamoru: He absolutely hates the vet too. Between vaccinations, having kennel cough and being nuetered he's seen enough of the vet to know when we're going there!

Mine is actually a 9 month old pitbull. Here's a picture of him. :wiggle:
    [​IMG]
    What is your dog eating? I think mine has a lot to do with being fed crap food :o which changed last night. It's really hard spending $36 on a 40 pound bag of dog food (just getting a medium grade food-Nutro) on my budget but I guess it's a lot better than having an unhealthy dog that requires lots of visits to the vet.
    Another thing I noticed is that he eats poop, which is normal for puppies but still unhealthy. So that means I get to start picking it up daily instead of every couple of days like I do now. :hs: Hopefully those couple of changes will help a lot too.

12. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

i went through i think every single type of dry food known to man (and dog) and he doesnt like anything. He won't eat the nutro. I just started him on science diet, which he was eating good at first, and now he's slowing down on it and beginning to not like it either. Canned wet food gives him diareah, so that's out. I guess after he gets hungry enough he'll have to eat his dry food, theres nothing else i can do for him..
    My dog also eats his poop.. he ate it almost every day before i got him a cage to stay in while im at work. However, lately he's been pooping in his cage and eating just some of it. I'm starting to get a little annoyed at this because everyday i come home from work i have to clean up a dirty cage. I know he hates the cage, and he doesn't consider it his "home" like he should so thats probably why he poops in it. cause i don't think normal dogs will poop where they sleep. i just don't get him sometimes, and it's starting to really annoy me. But then i feel bad for him when he's not feeling well :hs:

PS.. i just changed my av to a recent picture of him i took with my phone. :love:

13. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Aww, I LOVE black pitbulls! I have a 2.5 year old pit/lab mix also (and a 3 year old lab) that are in my av. Full house here :mamoru:

Science Diet (even the extremely overpriced Science Diet you need a prescription for) is a pretty bad food also. Here is a list that maybe you will find helpful as far as food goes (although obviously I don't follow it myself :o ).

Is his crate really large or too big for him? It's weird that he poops in there, most dogs won't unless they really really have to (the only time any of my 3 did was when they got sick in the middle of the night and I didn't get to them in time). Come over and check out www.pitbullforum.com It's a great forum (anti-breeder and obviously against dog fighting) that could be a good resource to you. I hope your pup gets better soon!

Did you purchase him from a breeder (reputable or byb) or was he a rescue?