GUN My Dillon is "denting" my primers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, Apr 14, 2008.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

I was doing some reloads yesterday and all was moving smoothly. Case checked about every 10th one or so and put them in some WWB racks. I started inspecing the primers and noticed that a few (10-15) has a small dent in the primer. It looks nothing like a pin strike but more like an aluminum can with an indentation in it. Am I pressing too hard when I'm seating the primer? :dunno:

Also, I noticed that some of my slugs have a "bite" taken out of the tip. This is happening on the seating stage.

I tried taking pics but it doesn't show up very well with my POS camera. I'll try again with different lighting tonight.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The primers are a non issue. If you want to get rid of the "dent" wipe off the rod that pushes the primer into the pocket. When it is dirty you get the "dent".

I would try cleaning the seating die. There might be some crud in there. Also it is a "bullet", not a slug. Just so you have your teminology strait so we can communicate better and you don't sound like a complete knob we you talk about reloading somewhere other than OT. The loaded catridge is refered to as a "round". The bullet itself is refered to as a bullet. ex (how many rounds do I need to bring to the match? I need to order some bullets to load ammo for the match.)

If your lazy you can just go up into the die while attached to the press with one of those gun swabs (like a cotton Q-tip swab but won't come apart as easily. You don't want cotton fibers in your dies or guns). Soak it in a little solvent. If you still have a problem your going to need to take your die aprat and clean it real good. If your using the dillon die there are two ends to seating the bullet. There is a round end and a cone shaped end for the trunicated cones. Make sure your using the right one. There is a clip you remove off the top of the die then you can push out the seater.

3. texchef

texchef Guest

Sorry about the terminology. I have always heard medical examiners and even ballistics folks say "slug".

"We pulled a slug out that penetrated the right leg."

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

SLUG:
    [​IMG]

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I guess there term slug can loosely be used in place of bullet by non shooters. When you get into reloading though you'll find that terminology is very important. I'm not trying to break your balls about it. Better you learn the lingo here than sound like a flaming knob when trying to talking to some hardcore reloading dickwads at the range.

6. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

Knob :rolleyes: