My detail today failed. COMPLETELY. Tell me about yours!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by lemans23, Jul 25, 2007.

1. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

So I was all excited this morning to finally be able to detail my own car after doing a lot for other people and friends. So, I figured that I'd try out some new products. First up, turtle wax f21 car soap. This is the best car soap I've ever used. And by best, I mean the absolute worst thing you could use aside from cow pies :ugh:. The shit has zero lubricity to it and the surfactant levels are so low, it would be easier to suck the dirt off the paint with your mouth. So instead, I switched to some old as balls eagle one car soap. Went fine. I had done the interior yesterday evening, so I thought I was making good progress. Well, then I decided to wax the car with my favorite of all time, megs 26. I've used about 3 or so bottles of it over the past few years, so I know how to use it perfectly. Being the genius I am, however, I went and got a tin of the 26 paste. Thinking that it would be very similar, I applied it to the entire car in the same way that I would the liquid wax. This was the most fatal mistake I've ever done...EVER. That shit bonded with the paint so bad (in the fucking garage thank god, I can't imagine what would have happened if I'd stayed outside), it took me two hours plus the PC to remove 95% of the wax. There's still spots where it's still stuck on, so I guess I'll just do a Dawn wash this weekend. It fucking ruined my day from all the struggling to get what I consider the easiest to work with wax ever, which turned into the worst wax I've ever used. I threw away the whole fucking tin of the 26. Never before has it taken so much effort to apply it. Now my paint looks all dingy and doesn't have that deep wetness you get from 26. :mad:

So, what's the worst detail you've ever had?

(BTW, I usually use NXT wash soap as well, so basically my entire process was different. My fucking #21 turned into soup because some genius took it off my detail counter and put it in a bucket of water. Who the fuck did it, I don't know, but it was my favorite all around sealant)

edit: Previous process was OC on LC orange pad, OP on LC white pad and SSR1 on OP black pad followed by 26. Just needed another coat.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Paste waxes work best applying and removing a section at a time.

3. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

Yeah I tried that method on my friend's WRX that I needed to give another LSP to. Amazingly, that was not the case. It still took me about 20 minutes to remove it completely from the spoiler :mad:. I always give just the thinnest amount of wax (enough so that the paint isn't clear, and that you know something is on it, but not actually thick and visible), and it was almost like it baked right on. I called the meg's hotline, and they said that it was most likely a defective batch, even though it was dusty as fuck from the shelf at NAPA where no one had given it any attention. Oh well, at least my NXT paste still works like a charm.