SRS My dad

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RalphL, Jun 25, 2009.

1. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

about a year back, my dad went to the doctor, got blood work done and basically he had all kinds of medical issues. His liver was shot and his blood sugar was really fucked up. My dad is a heavy drinker and swore off drinking hard liquor and said he would get healthier. This lasted about a month or two. he was put on a medication called antabuse which made him unable to drink, but he ended up getting really bad side effects from it and he stopped taking it. eventually, he was back to old habits.
    Fast forward to this past christmas, he said he wasnt feeling good and his heart was bothering him. He ended up in the ER and they told him what he already knew (his drinking and smoking were fucking up his health). Then, a few months ago he was getting his hair cut and he passed out. He went to the ER and stayed in the hospital for a few days. Went he went to the ER he was drunk and his blood sugar was somewhere around 400ish and one of his kidnies shut down (he's a diabetic). His doctor was going to put him on insulin but he said he'd start eating healthy, stop drinking, etc. I tried telling him what to eat and what not to eat once again and got him some fish oil/other supplements trying to get him to change his ways. Surely he's getting back into drinking.

I dont understand why he's so fucking dense. His drinking is fucking up his relationship with my mom. My sisters/I/my grand parents/aunt/his friends have told him countless times to stop drinking and to do something about his health and he doesnt listen. Now even when he's sober it's like he's 12 years old. It's embarassing. It's like he can't think for himself. At this point I dont know what do. My sisters have pretty much given up. my mom is threatening to leave him. I'm worried that when I come home from college my family's going to be worse off than it is now. It also pisses me off because my dad's a good guy and I hate to see him do this shit. What should I do OT.

2. kylep

kylep OT Supporter

3. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

you cant fix an addict until they're ready to admit they have a problem and want to change. best of luck to you bro

4. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Time to contact a professional and perform an intervention. He'll need rehabilitation. He's an alcoholic.