GUN My dad suggested an xd-9 v 10 ported..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by michael, Sep 1, 2005.

1. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

wtf is that?

i was considering a subcompact xd-9...what's the diff? also, I cant find a picture of one..

thx.

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Ported is ok for the range, but pretty much useless if you are considering it for CCW.
    the V-10 is the 9mm Service model XD with holes in the barrel and slide that vent the gas up. Problem is that if you shoot it at night, the first blast will wipe out your night vision.

Sub compact is the 3" version that can be found in either 9mm or .40 caliber.
    Here is the SC
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-sub-compact.shtml

and here is the V10
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-ported.shtml

3. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

he suggested it because i guess the v10 wouldn't have much kickback

4. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

9mm doesn't have much recoil at all. As Vermincelli said, ported handguns are horrible if you ever consider CCWing or even using it for HD. The porting or holes on the top of the slide will emit a flash that will blind you at night. Cool to see at the range, but not when you need to defend yourself.

Also is this gun ever going to be used for CCW?? If not I'd recommend something with a longer barrel. You might want to look at the XD Service models (4" bbl) or the Tactical model (5" bbl). The longer bbl's will yield a more accurate firearm.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

the SC is definately the better of the two for CCW use but I agree, if you aren't going to carry it concealed, get a Service or Tactical.
    The XD's ergonomics really help soak up the recoil so if you are going with the 9mm, you won't have any problems. Even the .40 is pretty nice. (unless of course you use high power ammo like Corbons like I do) You can also get the Service or Tactical in .45gap.
    Nice thing about the .40 is that you can then buy the individual barrels in 9mm and .357 and have a 3 caliber gun. :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Porting also has a tendency to hit you in the face with shit. If you EVER do any close-in shooting, you'll find it out. Anything from jackets peeling off the rounds to just debris from the barrel, and unburned powder. It's a huge threat to the safety of your eyes if you carry one and have to use it.

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

like Footrat said, the flying debris and gas can be a problem.
    What if you couldn't fire at full extension...what if you had to shoot from the hip?

You'd get to feel the joy of powder burns on your face. :eek: