SRS My dad has no business smoking cigars...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LSchenz, Mar 21, 2009.

1. LSchenz

LSchenz New Member

In the last 2 years my dad has been smoking cigars. He started smoking cigars more and more and during the summer he usually smokes them everyday.

My dad has high blood pressure,high cholesterol and a family history of heart problems.

I know that nobody but himself can stop him but, what do I do?

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

Honestly, I would shut the hell up and light up a cigar with him. Your dad sounds like a beast :bowdown: and any attempts to stop him from being a boss will only end in resentment towards you.

3. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

It's better than cigaretts, cigar smokers don't inhale. There isn't much you can do, it's his life.

4. boosted420

boosted420 New Member

Relax, pour a glass of Port, and light one up with him.

5. phEight

phEight ...

It is his life but that doesn't mean you don't attempt to try to help and help them realize they're making bad decisions. Given the history I really think you should at least make sure he's aware of the possible consequences of his actions. The only way to really stop someone from doing something harmful is to help them realize the harm it causes.

"Cigars have also been identified as increasing the risk for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and coronary heart disease compared to nonsmokers and the risk increased with greater smoking (New England J of Medicine, June, 1999, p. 1773-80)."

And I'm sure there is much more you can find to help show your dad the ills of smoking cigars, especially given his current health conditions. I'm not saying he needs to quit, it'd probably be best if he did, but he definitely should slow down before he develops an even stronger habit.

6. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I smoke cigars, so this may be biased a bit.

I know that cigars have negative effects on my health. But they are also a part of me unwinding and relaxing. Honestly I have to think that being stress constantly has just as much of an effect on my health as smoking a stogie twice a week or less.

You have to understand that he probably knows the risks and has decided that the rewards outweigh the consequences. You can try and change his mind, but there is the good chance you may not be able to convince him. You could try and get him to start pipe smoking instead. Several studies have shown that pipe smoker tend to live longer than non smokers (have a feeling it has to do with stress and lifestyle)

Alot of it goes to the argument of if you want to be a health nut, live a long time, watch everything you eat and do and end up in a hospital dying of nothing, or do you want to (quoting Clarkson here) "enter the pearly gates flying backwards in a ball of fire" with a picked liver, cancer a few places, yelling "Hell yeah, that was a wild ride"

I know what I would choose.

7. Bennybenguin

Bennybenguin Active Member

:bowrofl:

8. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Your dad is an adult, he doesn't need you telling him what to do.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

you have no business thinking there's anything you should do.

tell him you're worried the get off his case. /thread

10. illectronic

illectronic I'm Coming Home OT Supporter

First I will say, my dad has been smoking for 35 years. He has cholesterol, diabeties, etc... There's no way anyone can stop him or any addict for that matter. Addicts need to realize that a drug is affecting their life negatively ON THEIR OWN. Telling him to quit or cut back will only make him resent you and smoke even more. With tobacco it's tricky because it takes so long until it kills you, so you think everything is OK and you don't realize the damage you're doing. The best thing to do is be a power of example and lead a healthy lifestyle.... This is straight 12 step son.

11. phEight

phEight ...

You don't need to tell him he needs to quit, but you also don't have to stand by and do nothing if you truly care for him. You can at least present the facts and how you personally feel about it, but that's the limit of your power here. If you're too forceful of course he's just going to resent you, but there's no harm in presenting the facts.

12. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Tell him how you feel and then shut up.

If he wants to stop he will. No amount of nagging or pushing him will help, trust me. The best thing you can do is tell him how you feel and then leave it up to him.

13. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I doubt he is addicted to cigars, at least not chemically. It is fairly hard to get addicted to them. Just let him enjoy life how he wants.

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I would try these two things, in order:

1. Show him google image pics of mouth cancer

2. Tell him your concerned BUT don't press it because older people have earned the right to live however the fuck they want, and if he wants to smoke cigars, let him smoke cigars. Hopefully his fully matured logical male brain understands potential results of his actions (mouth cancer, etc.).