SRS My dad fucked up

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RibeyeAndScotch, May 9, 2006.

1. RibeyeAndScotch

RibeyeAndScotch OT Supporter

I just got back from the army less than a month ago. The 2nd day I got back, my mom told me that we have a $135,000 loan to pay off.

Last time I checked, we didnt even have that much money to begin with. So i asked her who do we owe and what we did to owe that much. My mother tells me that while I was in the army, a man came by to appraise our condo. My mother asked him why he's here and the appraiser guy said that he needs to make sure the condo is still worth its value because there is a loan under the condo. My mom goes on and tells him that she doesnt recall taking out a loan or putting a for sale sign on the condo.

So the appraiser looks at my mom all crazy and tells her "lady, you have a $135,000 mortage loan you took out 2 years ago from chase. Your husband called me last week and told me to comeby and see how much the condo went up in value so he can take out a second loan." And proceeds to hand my mom a statement that shows every transaction. Total loan - $135,000 in 2003."

At this point my mom's fucking shocked because A) every penny is hers, my dad is a bum living off my mom B) The house, and the mortage is all under her name and C) She didnt take out a $135,000 loan 2 years ago. D) My dad is evil enough that stealing $135,000 isnt enough for him, he wants every penny from us E) Were sitting on nothing.

So she confronts this with my dad and my dad denies it. So she calls the appraiser up and confronts my dad with the loan statement. The truth comes out. My dad had took out a $135,000 loan somehow by forging my mom's signature. He sent $75,000 to his sister in Korea, and he says he doesnt know where the remaining $65,000 is.

My mom is getting a divorce and it looks like my dad is gonna walk clean from a straight up crime he commited with $65,000 in his pocket, leaving us the problem of repaying a shitload of money we dont have.

I cant let my dad do this. He is my father, but him doing this makes him worthless to me.
    What kind of action do I start with? Talk to chase?? Talk to a lawyer??

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  2. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

talk to a lawyer asap. i'd guess that forging her signatures and with that amount of money involved is going to get him in deep shit.

3. RibeyeAndScotch

what type of lawyer would be suggested?

4. RedDawg

the most cuthroat mother fucker you can find

5. i94tex

i94tex New Member

I am no expert but I would start by talking to Chase. Get all the info you can, copies of everything (loan app, closing papers, statements-you name it)

I would think if he forged her signature there would be criminal repercussions.

Who holds legal title to the property: her, him or both?

Who has been making payments?

Make sure the bank knows what is happening so there is not another loan attached.

And yessssss it would be wise to speak with a lawyer (your mother will probably need one anyway for the divorce).

6. RedDawg

i would get a lawyer and let him deal with chase instead of you contacting them yourself, wouldn't want to agree to anything without counsel there to guide you. If chase calls before you can speak to a lawyer, get a number to call them back at and let them know you'll call them back asap.

7. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

word. and keep us updated plz. this is fukced up

8. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

not sure what I can say other than this is a real fucked up situation...

9. Create

Create :free at last:

Forgery should nullify the contract. That may be a start.

At the very least, the outstanding liability will be taken into account in the property settlement.

10. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Are you 100% sure your dad forged her name?

11. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

If he signed your Mom's name, and you can prove that, your father has committed bank fraud. A felony, and pretty serious one, that can net him 20 years in prison in many states.

Speak to a lawyer right away. They will probably contact Chase and then Chase will then in turn contact law enforcement.

12. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

b4 contacting a lawyer, i would srsly wear a microphone and get his face to say he forged the sig.. im sure he'd deny it if he first gets a call from a lawyer and than you ask him..

13. i94tex

i94tex New Member

Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought taping one without their consent (excluding lawenforcement, warrents that type of thing) is illegal and inadmissable.

Does anyone know for sure?

14. i94tex

i94tex New Member

Unless you have unlimited funds (and I gathered you did not), any info/leg work you can do or get and bring to the attorney will save on your legal fees. Sure, the lawyer is willing to get it for you, but he will also charge you to do so.

Also, I think it is critical that you and your mother understand the details of what has happened. If for no other reason than no one has more at stake than you do. I would assume you would interview more than one attorney before you decide on one. If you don't find out what is going on before you visit with them, how will you ever explain it coherently?

I still say you need to contact Chase. If for no other reason, make sure the property is not used to secure any other loans.

IMHO

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

1) Call the police. Press charges. Your father forged her signature. There is massive fraud going on here. If he has any of the money remaining, once they arrest him they can confiscate his bank account and get what remains back.

2) Call Chase and tell them that you did not take out a mortgage, that you have called the police, and that the entire deal is fraudulent.

3) Call an attorney. Any one will do if you don't know of one. Explain your situation on the phone. You shouldn't have to pay for a consultation.

You must do 1, 2 and 3 to minimize the damage done here.

16. Create

Create :free at last:

If a private citizen does it it is admissable in court, although the person recording may face a civil suit. If law enforcement, or any agent of the government, commits a crime gathering evidence of this sort the evidence is inadmissable.

17. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

get a lawyer and try to get him to admit on tape that he did it.

i wouldnt talk to this fucker, he stole from your family

18. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

btw he might have spent the rest of that money "he lost" on drugs.

19. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

is he a real dad or step dad?

20. RibeyeAndScotch

thx for all the help guys.

Hes my real dad. It goes way way back. My father isnt the best father to look up to. My mom has paid for everything since i can remember. My dad was always broke, always trying to get rich quick the easy way, borrowing money from my mom, fucking up, and never repaying.

My mom never divorced because of me and my little sister, but those times are long long gone.

I made my mom talk to a lawyer today. And the lawyer says he'll think about taking our case, but his motives were going directly after chase. Sue chase for faulty security and get a settlement out of it. Then from there, chase will naturally go after my dad. Any opinions?

21. Replicant

Replicant New Member

Damn. Hope you get that bastard!

22. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

First of all your mom needs to complain to Chase and explain the loan is a forge. From there they will launch and investigation and it is likely your dad will do time.

Find out who the notary on the transaction was and call escrow and get the escrow instructions.

This will tell who was there to veify that your mom was signing docs and the escrow instructions will show vesting on the property as far as whose name it is in.

It is likely that your dad had co conspirators in getting this deal done. They can all be held accountable. But you need to find out how he did it, whether it was forging your mom's name, getting a power of attorney, whether he is on the loan or not, is it just in her name, etc.

These are all pretty good places to start digging. Good luck and email me at [email protected] If you need some more explanation, help...

23. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Sue the life out of him, that's one thing. Second your mom is going thru a hard time so keep supporting her, and make her and you distantiate from this man who doesn't deserve to have her as a wife, nor you as a son. The only correct outcome of this whole situation is that HE gets the blame,is found guilty and carries the enormous debt that he caused.

Its a 'great' scandal that he would endanger his family with such a large debt. What you need is substantial proof, hard work and a good lawyer to get his ass sued and going along with your lawyer(s) in providing evidence that his actions where fraudulent and he has to pay the price for it.

I would totally distantiate myself from your father , until the day he comes on his knees towards the two of you and begs for forgiveness.

24. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

that sounds good. you may get more money for your time and money lost. but remember if this lawyer says he doesnt want to help you try another one.

25. RedDawg

:werd: find a lawyer that is eager to help you, not one that needs to "think about taking the case" this will determine how much effort they actually put into the case and will make all the difference whether you win or lose.