My CPU is constantly running at 50% for no reason

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BradUF, Dec 5, 2007.

1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

For some reason my AMD 3800 is now running at 50% load all the fucking time and I don't know why. I went into the processes and ended everything that I knew what does and still nothing. Its making my computer run like a slug...

2. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Sort your processes by CPU, then lookup the exe that's using the most to find out what it is.

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

One would think that if you know how to check your cpu load you would also be able to identify the process that is using it...

4. wizziebaldwin

wizziebaldwin New Member

what version of OS are you using that is important.

if you are using XP then try going into safe mode and checking the performance there. If your CPU is good then you have a "service" that is being activated when you boot normally.

Services are tricky to find and to determine what is going on.
    First i would download as many free anti spy/ad ware programs that you can find here is a place where you can find this stuff http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=31

run some of those and see what happens.

Still no help?
    then install http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

There are forums with people who are "experts" in reading the log this program generates. In time if you look at it enough you too can see problems.

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

OR... ctrl-alt-del, processes tab, sort by cpu usage, select the top one, hit delete... solved

6. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

He does have a point.. That svchost.exe isn't very descriptive. It's usually not that, though.

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Well yeah if its a service you go into your service list and get rid of anything unecessary

8. wizziebaldwin

wizziebaldwin New Member

simple solution not always the answer

I love the simple solutions, I truly do because they are quick and easy and who does not like that!

But... simple solutions are not always the answer. I think someone has already mentioned looking at the process table. Microsoft's (ctrl-alt-del) is a weak and marginal look at best as to what is going on under the hood.

Going to the process table and removing an offending process is fine and dandy if it works and you can truly identify the culprit. But if the next time you power up it's back then that is not a solution if you have to keep getting rid of a rogue process.

Much of going into the process table (ctrl-alt-del) and having success depends upon the immediate circumstances. I just downloaded and installed a new app or went to a website that started a process.

The big question is HOW LONG has this been going on and if you can determine that do you have a restore point that you could restore to?

You might consider that because any restore point AFTER the offending infestation (i'm guessing at infestation) will carry over to new restore points.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

If it is an infestation, you could have a ton of stuff that is accessing the internet at any given time.
    The first thing I would do is to open up network connections >
    then right click your Local Area Connetion > Status, and see what is going on with your sent/recieved packets.

If you have unusual activity, it might be a sign that some nasty things are going on.

10. Casey

Casey New Member

Process Explorer > *

11. Rmc[AZ]

Rmc[AZ] Get the fuck off my fucking ice

Start > Run

Type 'cmd'

Then type 'format c:'

Problem solved.

12. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I have a similar problem with dllhost.exe. Is it running on yours?

On my brand new vista pc I get it and it uses ~50% cpu. It randomly comes in about once per week. As soon as I end process everything is fine so I have no clue why it started. Googling it hasn't narrowed anything down yet :dunno:

13. Casey

Casey New Member

Useless faggot. :gtfo2:

And in case you reply, I don't want an avatar, I don't care that I registered in 2007, and I don't care I don't have over 50,000 posts.

14. Casey

Casey New Member

Use Process Explorer to look more into it.

15. CodeX

CodeX Guest

get an AV you worthless '07

16. Casey

Casey New Member

No thanks.

17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

:werd:

And there isn't a lot of that trash talk that goes on in here.

Codex only did it to bust your chops because you mentioned it.

:mamoru:

18. Rmc[AZ]

Rmc[AZ] Get the fuck off my fucking ice

:rofl: Did you actually do it or something? Damn... just a joke because original poster didn't give us any information. Can't be of much help when no information is given on a tech problem.

Edit: WTF Self Imposed ban? Why ask a question if you are just going to ban yourself?