MIL My cousin is obsessed with the Marines

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BaseballIsEmo, Aug 17, 2005.

1. He keeps saying he wants to join, he will join, they're the best, etc. etc.

Yet, he dropped out of highschool, got some fake tier-3 diploma, and failed the ASVAB. :ugh: :rofl:

A few months went by, and he pretty much didn't think about it for awhile...

Now, all of a sudden, his interest has risen because he hears I'm going Airborne Ranger, and he still thinks he can go Marines. :mamoru:

He got a 31 on the ASVAB. :bowrofl:

2. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Sounds like a Marine in the making to me.

3. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

:wtc: Sounds like the score I'd have.

I couldn't graduate highschool because of 2 surgeries on my hand that kept me out for a year than I caught mono twice in the same following year :mad: couldn't play catch up and it'd cost me 350$'s a COURSE and I need 7 to graduate. So now I hafto get a GED and than I plan to go down to the states.

4. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

By the way whats the score needed for Marines :hsd:

5. Fuck them.

Get your GED, and get a decent ASVAB score and you can join the Army, plus get a quick ship bonus if you do this before September 29th. :coolugh:

How long will it take you to get your GED?

6. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Gonna do it in the new year. I'm Canadian so I still hafto get my Green card (which I plan to try to apply for when I go in to file for my passport). So I'm expecting the end of next year. Gives me time to throw my 4km run to 8km's or higher if possible. Plus time to work out, I'm 178 lbs at 6'3" but my weight won't budge much because of the diet/lifestyle at home :(. So I'm hopen for it to go higher from basic.

While I'm waiten on my greencard (Which would probably take 7 months) I'll be seeing about doing night courses to get my GED. Once It's done I'll be ready to roll.

I'd like to go and Sign a Ranger contract that Darkphantom has suggested but I highly doubt I'd be able to top 50-60 on a ASVAB :wtc:.

7. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

8. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Come on, whats the minimum for marines :squintd:

*Edit* 80? Fawk! :wtc:

9. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

:wtf: How is it 90 for the Army for basic infantry and 80 for the marines?

10. Accord

Accord New Member

You can't enlist in the Marine Corps with just a GED. If you have a GED then you're considered a "tier 2" enlistee and the Marine Corps won't take you. Tier 1 are people with high school diploma's, college, etc.; Tier 2 are people with GED's, people with "home school" diploma's, etc.; and Tier 3 are people with criminal records and things of that sort who are completely ineligible to join the Marine Corps.

The only way for someone with a GED to become a "tier 1" enlistee is to go to college and earn 15 college credits. In the end, it's better off doing this even if you're already a tier 1 enlistee to begin with because after earning those credits you'll be a contract PFC as opposed to a Private once you earn the title.

There have been cases of tier 2 enlistee's being able to join, but these are extremely rare. There is some rule in place that states that no more than 5% of the entire Marine Corps can enter with GED's (or something like that), so yes you CAN enlist with just a GED and no 15 college credits, but it's extremely tough and those slots go to people who are 300 PFT'ers or something else that's extraordinary.

It's very simple, just go get your 15 college credits. It can be done very fast with online classes and you'll definitely have them done before the new year.

11. Accord

Accord New Member

:rotcdeskjockey:

12. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

College? Fuck, with what money :ugh:

Man they really try to fuck you with getten in the army when it's shit just like Infantry and what not. How god damn smart do you hafto be? Figured it'd be a little easier than this bullshit. I might be better of talking with the recruiter who asked me to put my name on an oversea's applicants list for the British military. Better chance there from the sounds of it.

As is my options are the USA, Australia, Britain, French foreign Legion. Britian and USA are my top choices but if I can't get in the USA I think I'll try for the FFL if all else fails.

"It is unfortounate that they are so strict about the Apptitude test, not sure I understand why that is. Some people who are very intelligent do not test well at all for various reasons. It is a skill that can be learned, so why not give you the chance to learn it."

Friend told me that on another forum, saying it might be best to try for the brits instead.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  13. Accord

Accord New Member

Okay man, listen.

15 college credits is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. That's mabye a semester's worth of classes, even less. You can get 15 credits in 2 months and probably a lot shorter. It doesn't matter where you get these college credits or what the college credits are in. There are literally TONS of online colleges that are accredited and dirt cheap, just find the cheapest one.

If you have to go work some shitty job at mcdonalds or something for a few months to be able to afford to take these online classes which will allow you to join the Marine Corps, then go fucking do it if you want to earn the title of United States Marine so badly. Do what ever it takes. Frankly, if you go through hell and high water to be able to enlist and to be able to step on those yellow footprints at MCRD, it will probably be just that much sweeter when you do actually earn the title.

As far as the ASVAB goes, it's the easiest test known to man. You should have no problems passing it and I am so serious about this. There are tons of practice ASVAB tests available online, I recommend you take one of them and see how well you do on it. You will pass it, STOP WORRYING.

Also, check your PM's.

14. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

:coold: Thanks. We'll see how things go after my GED is done and if I find any info about these college course crap things. If I did 15 credits of college does that mean I could be a officer if I tried to go on and get some sort of degree :eek3: I always was a natural leader. But officers after leutenant seem to turn into pencil pushers :mad:

15. Sammo

Sammo New Member

That sucks man, I never figured that you had never completed high school

16. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

Theres a waiver for everything.

17. Accord

Accord New Member

My recruiter got me a waiver for my three testicles.

18. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Not true. He just needed an excuse to feel you up. :mamoru:

19. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

Recruiting here isn't any better, they outsourced it to a HR company called Manpower.

They have a single office in my city on the 14th floor in the CBD, turn up to talk to someone and the receptionist tells you before that can happen you spend an hour on the phone to some call centre, then do some testing then maybe you can speak to an actual military person about various jobs....

20. Isamu

Isamu New Member

Do all recruiters do things the same way, i know three guys from my town who went marines, that didn't even finish 10th grade.. from what i hear you can waiver anything.. not totally sure, but they are in service atm..

but whatever, i joined the Air Force :rofl:

21. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

excellent choice. i joined the army on Ranger contract. you will have a blast :bigthumb: if you have any questions let me know

22. Capitals

Capitals Guest

Not entirely true, each recruiting station has an alotment of "teir 2 slots" per quarter that they can fill. It's not rare at all to find people in the Marine Corps with only a GED. Yes the majority of them are high school grads but GEDs are deffintley not "extremely rare". It's not tought to fill those spots either, I guarentee you if someone walked into a recruiting station at the end of the month that was under quota with only a GED they'd send him to MEPS without a second thought.

It's just not somthing recruiters tell you, they want to keep their image as shiny as possible. :coolugh:

23. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Well the thing is up here in Canada when you join up even with a GED from what I'm told they still allow you the possibility to get a degree or more. Is that like that down there in the states if I ever did want to do that?

And whats with these waivers?

24. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

:rofl:

25. How hard is starvation? :mamoru: