My connection is crapping out (Comcast)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mace, Aug 12, 2005.

1. mace

mace i don't read

Since last night my connection will just die after like 5 minutes of being alive and then it comes back alive after a minute, and the cycle repeats forever.

:wtf:

2. mace

mace i don't read

here's the log from my modem
    I called comcast and they told me to do all that pointless stuff they tell you to do, (unplug modem, router, and coax, wait 15 seconds and plug everything in). Well it didn't do squat so they are sending a tech out on the 18th :(

It looks like my modem is losing sync somewhere. My tv with digital cable works fine though :(

3. diranged

diranged New Member

I've been having Comcast issues for the last 2-3 days -- cahle will go out for 5 minutes.. 30 mins.. sometimes an hour. Randomly... fucking pissing me off!

4. mace

mace i don't read

Well I found the problem I was having. It's because Comcrap pushed some new firmware to my modem (SB4100) that now made it incompatible with a 10Mbps connection, so the modem reboots its self over and over and over. I have a Linksys BEFSR41 v2 router which only has a 10Mbps WAN port, so if I take that out of the network then everything works because I'd be using a 100Mbps connection.

So the only way to fix it would be if Comcast downgraded the firmware, if I got a new modem, or if I buy a better router.

I'm going to upgrade the modem because it's free since I'm leasing it. Comcast bastards! making me find out for myself what the problem is and then fixing it... :mad:

Seeing as how internet speeds will soon top 10Mbps in no time, what do you guys think would be a good replacement router to get? Should I just make my own?