my computer wont start.. :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ak1ra07, Apr 15, 2005.

1. ak1ra07

ak1ra07 New Member

The power went out here this afternoon and when I tried to restart the computer, it woked for about 10 minutes, then started to smell like burning dust. I started to shut it down and it just turned itsself off. I opened up the case and sprayed it with some of that compressed air and let it hang out for a while. I just came back to it now, and it wont turn on at all.

I looked around and there doesnt seem to be anything physically wrong/burnt on the motherboard/videocard/harddrive. When I plug in the power cord and hit the switch to the power supply in the back, the light on the mobo comes on and the ethernet lights up, but when I hit the power button on front, it just seems like the capacitor discharges ( my neon fans light up for a split second :mamoru: ) then nothing. Any ideas? :hs:

IBisthepowerstilloff

2. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

tossup between powersupply and mobo
    if it sounds like its pulsing every few secs, it's the p/s, the only way to test the mobo is use it w/ another p/s.. ask a nerd friend to let you borrow theirs for an hour
    either way, contact your electrical company to take the charges of repair

3. Spaawn7

Spaawn7 New Member

Hmm. Open up your case and see if there is a light on the mobo.

4. Hicksu

Hicksu nub

See if you can get it to POST with a minimum set of components then call your manuf.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Generally, the burning dust smell is a symptom of a dead PSU. I'd check that first.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

put your nose up to the rear PSU fan and take a big wiff. You can almost always smell a dead psu. Hopefully it sacrificed itself to protect your mobo...