My computer takes literally 2.5 minutes to start up

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kos, May 20, 2005.

1. kos

kos New Member

It takes about 2.5 minutes to start up from the time I log in, untill my account is fully loaded. Sometimes it's quicker, but most of the time it's the same. I've checked my startup entries in the start up folder, and under msconfig. I've only got:

[​IMG]

I thought it may have been style XP. I didn't have it loaded in the background, or at startup, but windows was still using themes that were installed. So I put it back to a standard theme, which didn't work. So I decided to have style XP load in the background, which also didn't work.

Point32 is my mouse software (microsoft optical)
    gcasServ is microsoft antispyware, which was installed before this started
    dumprep 0 -k, I have no clue what it is. I know it dumps out some memory, but I don't know what the flags are. But this has always been there.
    NvCpl is my nvidia software
    StyleXP is the theme software.

I've defarged the registry, I've changed the settings in windows to make everything a little faster (like changing context menus, fade in and out, etc).

The only thing I noticed is that I had installed Norton Antivirus 9 corporate. After I installed it, I noticed the system getting slower, so I uninstalled it. This didn't change anything. So I installed avast, and did a scan and had a trojan, delteing it made no differance.

So now I'm not sure what to look for. I'd rather not do a complete reinstall, but if I have to..

2. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

so you're saying the biggest holdup is after you've logged in but before all your programs are fully loaded, and that there's not much of a hold up while xp itself loads?

3. kos

kos New Member

XP will load up to the logon screen fine. After I log in, I hear the .wav it plays, but then it just sits there, displaying my background image. The harddrive isn't doing anything, nor is the light on my case. So it takes about 2 1/2 minutes untill it displays the windows gui. After that, everything loads quick.

4. kos

kos New Member

I've checked my services a little bit, but not throughly. Other than this hangup, my system runs fine. I have about 380mb ram. I have no clue whats up.

5. Shibboleth

I'd say that could be a few things. It sounds like it's not really loading anything, but that it's just hanging. Perhaps is it waiting to access the internet, ie it tries to update the clock but in order to do so it waits until it can go online so it hangs until it can. If I were you I might try disabling all startup items and seeing if it starts up any faster. If it does, systematically reenable then until you find one that causes it, if not post back here.

6. kos

kos New Member

I can't disable the nvidia software, but I'll give it a try. My internet connection is pretty good, and it doesn't do this on any other account. It was doing it on my girlfriends, but it's not anymore. Let me go try a few things, I'll be back in a few minutes.

7. Shibboleth

I'll try and help later but I need to duck out for a little
    good luck.

8. kos

kos New Member

It didn't help at all.

9. Shibboleth

what's booting in to safemode like?

10. kos

kos New Member

I don't know, I haven't done it in a while. I know my administrator account is pretty fast. I tried getting rid of the themes, and that did nothing. I disabled everything, and that did nothing as well. I'm wondering if it's all the entries in the start up list under msconfig. I'll try logging into safemode

11. kos

kos New Member

Ok, I've figured out this much, after the computer has been turned on, and everything is started up atleast one time, if I log off for any reason and I log back on, it loads fine, it takes 6 seconds.

12. kos

kos New Member

Safemode took 8 seconds after a shutdown to start up, under my account.

I rebooted into my account, and after entering my password, it took 127 seconds to be fully loaded, and it displayed the gui after about 117 seconds.

13. kos

kos New Member

I'm starting to check out my services, but I'm not sure how they could be slowing it down this much.

14. kos

kos New Member

20 seconds!

I went thru my services with a guide I found, and I've got it to load up in 20 seconds. So I'm guessing there was a service that was loading that was killing my system. For somereason, I'm thinking it has to deal with svchost.

Thanks for your help
    Shibboleth

15. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Sounds like you've got it pretty well taken care of, but for the benfit of others reading this thread who may have a similar problem, I was experiencing a similar problem recently on my Windoze machines and tracked it down to having a drive mapped to another machine on my network that used to stay running 24/7 but is now turned off most of the time. When I would log into my machines, the desktop background would load but nothing else and they would try to connect to that machine for what seemed liked forever before finally giving up and loading the GUI.

After deleting the shortcut for the mapped drive, they started up fast as expected once again.

16. Shibboleth

nice, glad it was fixed.