My computer slowed WAYYY down over the last 2 days?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jackhole, May 4, 2005.

1. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:wtf: is this? I can barely use the Internet. There's a huge delay in my typing, Safari bounces 43 times in the dock before it opens, the spinning ball goes EVERY TIME I open a new page for 10 seconds+ and just general slowness.

:wtf: is going on here? Do I need more memory? Why did this come on so fast?

2. LiekOMG

LiekOMG New Member

Jenna Jameson's School of the "Performing Arts"
    Sounds like something is taking up all your CPU time. Go to your applications/utilities folder and open up Activity Monitor and see if any process is taking up all your available CPU. If its the finder you can force restart it and see if the problem goes away. If its anything else you should be able to quit it from there to see if it helps.

3. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

what os are you running? i have noticed a pretty bad performance hit on my computer since having upgraded to tiger. :( sadly my problem isn't one of the easy ones (i.e. people running virex have slow performance, solution, turn it off)

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I'm running 10.3.9.

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

CPU Usage:
    [​IMG]

Memory Usage:
    [​IMG]

6. Icedog

Icedog New Member

try what LiekOMG said:

click "finder" in the activity monitor and click the stop sign at the top. Choose the normal quit option and finder should restart itself. If it doesn't, repeat the steps and try the force quit option.

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

OK, that worked good. How often will I have to do this and why didn't a restart take care of it?

8. LiekOMG

LiekOMG New Member

Restarting *should* have fixed the problem. I've heard of a few reports of corrupted gif icons or other pictures placed on the desktop causing this problem. Try removing all files off of your desktop if the finder ever starts using up all your CPU again.

I also notice that you have Norton running in the background. You do realize that you don't need AV protection for your Mac, as there are no OS X viruses. And Norton Utilities or system works or whatever they call it these days can cause SERIOUS issues under OSX, so if you have that installed, remove it immediately!

9. inamorata

inamorata New Member

also, do a permissions fix

go into the DISK UTILITY in the utilities folder, select your hard drive, the indented, named one on the left, and click REPAIR PERMISSIONS near the bottom on the right/bottom area, make sure nothing else is running when you do this

all problems solved

10. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I've always heard that about viruses for the Mac, but found it a bit hard to believe. Better safe than sorry, right?

Also, if I shouldn't have Norton, what should I be using for a disk repair/defeagment/unerase utility?

11. inamorata

inamorata New Member

the mac os basically runs off of commands

those commands pile up on top of each other

disk utility organizes those commands so they can be accessed faster

next time, just do it and understand teh mac shack knows what the fuck is up :squint:

12. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

This doesn't answer my question, but thanks.... I guess. :dunno:

13. LiekOMG

LiekOMG New Member

There are zero viruses for OSX - nothing hard to believe about it. You don't need AV software, period.

As for disk repair, you shouldn't need anything. OS X comes with disk utility built in which is capable of verifying disc issues and repairing permissions. OS X defrags on the fly so there is no need for separate software for that. And OS X also automatically runs maintenance scripts ever night, week, and month, so its best to just leave the computer on 24/7 and let the OS take care of itself. And Norton Utilities is known to create MAJOR problems under OSX, so get rid of it immediately if you have it installed. There is a reason that Symantec stopped selling it, after all.

You need to get out of the windows mentality. You don't need all that extra AntiVirus/disk utility/spyware/firewall/etc software to keep your Mac running in harmony.

14. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

whats a virus? :confused:

roffles OS X > *

15. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Never had a Windows mentality, just an OS 9 and earlier when there was viruses.

Thanks for the info, sir.

16. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I still got some Norton shit in my Control Panel, how do I get rid of that? As far as I know, there's nothing left on the machine from Symantec.

17. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

open a finder windwo and search for "norton". if you want all norton stuff removed, make sure you trash anything that comes up.

to remove the panes from the control panel, just right-click (or control-click if you're using an apple mouse) and select the remove preference pane command.

18. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:cool: