My computer randomly quit working.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by spoofy, Apr 26, 2005.

1. spoofy

spoofy Chemically Enhanced

I built an Amd64 box about 2 months ago. Today I wake up and it is shutdown. I turn it on and after a while it simply shuts off again.

There are no warning beeps or anything. The CPU temp seems to stay at around 30 degrees C ... So i started to unplug things (harddrive, burner, extra fans ..etc..) and it is still shutting down.

my question is.. could it be the power supply? I figured if the supply was bad the machine would just never turn on..but I cant think of it being anything else..

suggestions?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it *could* be the power supply. But that doesn't make it true. Grab another GOOD one (enermax, fortron, sparkle) and test.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Try this to see if your PSU has enough juice to support what you've got.
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Keep in mind if the site says you need let's say around just under 350watts, and what you have is a 350watt PSU, then you're under powered really.
    My personally rule of thumb is; what ever the math says you need to run at max capacity add 50-100watts to the PSU rating you're looking to buy. In this case I would get a 400-450watt PSU.

However don't rule out an old PSU with more than enough to handle the rig of slowly dying. Many things in your system will either work perfectly, slowly die, or just flat out quit.

4. spoofy

using that..my min is 280 watts ..and I have a 350 watt supply. If I disconnect the DVD player and other things and just leave the CPU and hard drive connected I still have the same problem. I am starting to think maybe my CPU is overheating..but when idle the bios says it is at 30 degrees C... not sure how it is when I am in windows. But it only seems to happen when the machine is booted into an OS (linux or windows). It also does not beep to indicate any warning about the CPU or fan.. so.. I'm at odds about it.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

could be a driver issue.

6. spoofy

this happens both in linux and windows.

7. spoofy

actually i was wrong..not sure why i thought my supply was 350watt..its actually 450

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

watts are not everything. Anyone that bases their opinion of a supply off of watts is looking for trouble.

I've seen a 365W enermax kick the crap out of an Antec 550W.

9. spoofy

Ok another question. I got a new power supply.. its an adjustable one ..

anyway. For testing.. I hooked it up before putting it in my case.. and for a short second the cpu fan started to spin.. then nothing happened.. I hooked up the old power supply and it worked (for a while ) .

anyway.. what needs to be done to install the new power supply? I figured I simply could hook it up and go..but that doesnt seem to be the case.

10. spoofy

actually after googling a bit it looks like I did do everything right. But most tutorials dont talk about adjustable power supplys. If it is adjustable.. does it have to be adjusted before hooking it up? I was just under the impression that the voltage setting in the back had to be done

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

throw it away. The adjustable supplies are CRAP, for the most part.

Go get a good enermax or fortron/sparkle. They run around $50.

12. spoofy

All of the enermax's i looked at where over 100$. I'll look for fortron tomorrow when im there to exchange this one.. but I still want to figure out if my power supply is the problem.. so id like to try this new one for the night. Suggestions on what im doing wrong?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member