My computer keeps restarting!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jascon, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jascon

jascon bonk!

I recently bought a new stick of 512DDR ram for my asus mobo so that I could run battlefield 2 better. I already had a stick of 512 in it. They both have the same specs of PC3200 at 400Mhz except the new stick has a CAS latency of 3, and the older one a CAS latency of 2. My computer ran fine for a few days but then it started to randomly restart. At first I didn't know what to think but it started to restart more and more. While it was booting up one time it said that overclocking had failed, but I'm not even overclocking. Anyway, I figured it was the ram causing the problems so I took out the new stick, but I'm still having the same problems. Its getting harder and harder to even get to windows now, the computer reboots itself while it is rebooting. Just getting into bios is a problem because the computer reboots itself so often. I cleared CMOS and reset default bios settings but still no luck. BTW I'm running a p4 2.4ghz, on an asus mobo. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

2. Burns45678

Burns45678 New Member

my stab in the dark is the psu,
    then again maby the old stick went bad
    and are you trying to run dual channel mode with those non identical parts cuz if so...

3. jascon

jascon bonk!

nope not running dual channel

4. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

my power supply was going bad and it would do that,

5. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

pull the new stick and see if you still get restarts. run memtest. it's possible that those two sticks of ram are not compatible with each other, sometimes ram can be finicky.

6. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

most times he would get a system beep if ram was bad, but I can concur that two GOOD sticks albeit slightly incompatible ones would definitely cause this.

OK, does it restart? or does it shut off? Shutting off would be power supply, restarting would probably be windows errors, possibly related to hardware.
    Try and change the setting to "reboot automatically after serious error" , turn that shit off.

7. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

The slower ram may have been trying to run at the faster speed which could fry it after a while, thus causing you your issues now.

Stick in the other one and see if the issues are still there.

8. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

easiest test: run one stick at a time. check for problems. if you don't it is the conflict of ram.

9. jascon

jascon bonk!

It's not the power supply since I replaced that. I tried using only my old stick of ram, and still the same problems occured. It restarts constantly during reboot and I cant get anywhere. Could using the two different types of ram damaged the motherboard? I changed the processor, it worked for awhile getting to windows but would still restart after a couple hours, and then it eventually worked up to restarting during reboot. Now I think i'm going to have to just replace the motherboard and hopefully that will solve the problems.

About the ram: They are both 512mb Corsair 3200 400mhz, but their cas latencies are different. Could that have caused the problem?