my computer is too loud

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NEOxMorpheus, Sep 30, 2003.

1. NEOxMorpheus

NEOxMorpheus Real OG

My computer makes a loud whirling noise that is loud and annoying. I am pretty sure it is from the fan. I have two fans (case and power supply) though, and would not want to replace both of em. Does anyone know which fan is most prone to making the loud noise? and any ideas on how to make my computer more quiet. thanks................

2. Rapture

Rapture Guest

usually it's the either the PSU or CPU fan. Case fans only spin at around 1500rpm usually where as CPU fans can get in excess of 5000rpms. Unplug your case fans and turn on your computer to see if it is indeed one of them.

Fans are so cheap it doesn't matter.I got 4 blue led case fans for $20 a few months ago. Won't break the bank no matter what.

3. Rapture

Rapture Guest

oh yeah, if your HD is old and faulty it could be that also. My old WD makes some funky nosies sometimes. It's all a process of elimination.

4. maddtension

maddtension Guest

you can try cleaning them, worked for me.

5. NEOxMorpheus

NEOxMorpheus Real OG

yah i sprayed it with a duster and it didn't work. i'm goinna try isolating the noisy fan i guess.

6. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

i know what you mean, my CPU fan sounds like a fucking blowdryer. The only recommendation I can make besides replacing the fan is getting some of that acoustic dampening material (most computer supply stores have it). It works well to dampen the sound, even if it doesn't make it completely silent.

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

silentpcreview.com

go read the forums