My Computer is slowing down...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Moofman, May 23, 2006.

1. Moofman

Moofman Whose name you comin' in? By Who power?

:wtc: I've had my computer for about 3 years now, and it's finally starting to slow down to the point where its aggravating. Could anybody help me by telling me things i can do?

-I don't have a Windows Cd
    -I don't know how to reformat anything
    :hsd:

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Backup anything you want to keep.

Insert the windows CD and reboot your computer. Follow the on screen instructions to format your computer and re-install windows.

It's not too difficult. They make it so that if you know very little English or if you're too busy raping your german shepard you should be able to figure it out.

3. Moofman

Moofman Whose name you comin' in? By Who power?

don't got a windows cd :wtc:

4. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Do you have a licensed/registered copy?

EDIT: If you do, get a program to sniff out your CD-KEY and borrow a CD from a friend.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Windows License Keys are linked to a CD production batch number. You can't just plug any license key into any installation of Windows XP and have it work.

Backing up your personal files is obviously a good first step, because it lets you do whatever else you need to without worrying about losing all your work. Such as running your computer's Restore partition, if your computer is a brand-name prebuilt box. It's about as friendly as reformatting, but it clears the crap off your hard drive. If your computer doesn't have a restore partition or CD, and you don't have a Windows CD, and you don't know anybody with a Volume-licensed install CD, then I'm not sure what you really can do, short of looking for a good deal on an install CD online.

I suppose you could take your computer to a local shop, pay them to rebuild it, and have them make you a Restore CD that you can use next time you need to start over from scratch.

6. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

most shops charge $40-60 an hour. If they are going to run through the whole thing, it would probably be cheaper to buy an OEM copy of windows and do it yourself all legal like. I've seen OEM xp pro for as cheap as $115. If you don't need pro features, you could probably find xp home for less.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WRONG. Windows CD Keys are linked by TYPE.

OEM
    Retail
    VLK

An OEM key from an original build WILL work on a new OEM SP2 disc. Batches are much different, but they keys will interchange with discs.

However, a Retail key will not work with an OEM cd, as an example.

8. deusexaethera

Hmm. That's not what the Microsoft tech told me when I called for help with re-licensing a computer that had been repaired using a different CD than the one it was installed with. It wouldn't accept any of the keys we had in the office; not the one on the original disc, nor the one on the repair disc, nor the Action Pack codes we had on-hand.

I guess the guy just didn't want to replace the license for free.

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my vlk will only work on certain disks. newer versions of the disk will not accept it. so, i had to slipstream in sp2 with nlite on my disk.

you could always run linspire, it's free

10. deusexaethera

Hah! Isn't that what used to be called Lindows? I still think when Microsoft sued them they shoulda changed the product name to Winux.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

generally when you're on the losing end of a lawsuite you want to take measures to AVOID geting sued again.:rolleyes:

12. deusexaethera

It's a joke, Jolly. I know perfectly well why they didn't actually change the name to Winux.

13. russ6570

russ6570 New Member

No It's not

14. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Last edited: May 29, 2006